Chapter 5

Unedited

As much as I tried to understand Dan I couldn't, he'd give me bits and pieces about him but he still remained a mystery to me. So, I thought the best way to get to know him was to go to that family dinner his parents organised although he was adamant that it wasn't necessary I knew it would help me know him better.

We agreed to him picking me up so I was waiting outside, for once not being late in my navy dress and light makeup. 

His car pulled up and he was in a beige jumper and dark jeans, I admired his boyish look before quickly getting in.

"Are you not cold with that dress" he asks, winter was approaching and the little material clung on to my figure.

"I have to impress the in laws don't I" I smile and he licks over his lips with a cheeky grin.

"How long do you reckon we'll have to keep this up"

"I don't know, maybe we should just fake a marriage too"

"Why don't we fake some kids while we're at it" I look at him and he smirks.

"So, how many sales did the exhibition rank up"

"A few" he smiles and I could tell he was hiding something.

"By few you mean like millions right"

"I don't want to be boastful" he says and I nudge his arm.

"You can boast all you like cmon"

"£2.5 million"

"Holy shit, how many pieces?"

"That was for one" he looks gleefully as he drives, his eyes scanning my dropped jaw.

"What the fuck, Dan that's beyond amazing! Do you know who the buyer was?"

"I don't know, some mystery buyer but my parents are insisting I get a lawyer and arrange a meeting with this mystery buyer"

"I think they're right" I say and he nods.

"What about the other pieces?"

"They didn't do so well, made a few hundred thousand"

"I should just marry you" I laugh and he knits his eyebrows.

"Because of my money?" He asks questioningly and I till my eyes.

"You know what I mean, of course I'd never marry you for your money"

"I'm glad to know" he sighs and atmosphere stiffens.

"We're here" he huffs as he parks up the car and I take his hand.

"Are you ok?"

"I'm fine"

"You don't seem like it"

"I just expected more from you, I always knew girls would only come for me because they want to get drawn for their aesthetic or because the love the money-"

"Whoa what are you implying, I was only joking" I pull my hand out of his and his features sharpen.

"That's it though, you see it as a joke but in reality it's true"

"Not everything has to be so fucking deep Dan, why would I spend time to get to know you and be your pretend girlfriend if I genuinely didn't have an interest in you" I spit and he ruffles his hair. "Don't ever try to imply things about me"

"I'm sorry" he mumbles and softly takes my hand. "I'm not used to someone actually giving a shit about me"

"Can we just forget this and go eat, I'm starving" I giggle and he smiles.