Chapter 3

Unedited

It was Dans art exhibition today, he kept it quiet and hoped that the others would forget about it.

The evening was coming in and it was windy, but I wanted to get dolled up so with courage I wore my plain black string dress and black heels. My hair was now a little shorter and had a few layers so I decided on wearing it out straight and lastly my makeup was perfected with the classic wing and red lips.

I felt sexy.

There was a knock on my door and my heart almost dropped, Lucy was supposed to be at a party, if she saw me all dolled up she'd know something was up.

"Who is it" I called my voice shaking with nervousness. There was no response so I took a deep breath before walking over to the door and quickly opening it.

"Look, I'm sorry Lucy it's just I couldn't tell you because he asked me not to and-"

"What are you on about" Dan says and I open my eyes in surprise and relief washes over me.

"Thank fuck it's you" I breathe and he knits his brow.

"Well, of course it's me, we agreed on me picking you up remember"

"Yh I know, I was so scared Lucy would walk in and I didn't know how I'd lie"

"Besides Lucy, y-you look um, you look quite good" he stares at me as I stand in front of the mirror putting my earrings on.

"You don't look so bad yourself" I laugh, he wore a white shirt with black jeans and a belt.

"We should leave, I can't be late to my own exhibition" he chuckles nervously and I take his hand, he looks up at me for a second and I almost let my hand go but he intertwines them and gently pulls me along with him.

"So, what should I expect from today?" I ask he starts to drive and he smiles sweetly.

"Please don't expect too much"

"Why not?"

"I don't live by expectations, you'll only always get let down if you do"

"How so" I ask curiously, sometimes I knew what he meant but I enjoyed listening to his explanations.

"The more you expect the more pressure you cause for it to happen or if it will happen. Example, if put so much expectation on you be a good person it'll only let me down if you do something that's not good"

"But everyone has a certain degree on expectations, we expect things especially on ourselves"

"But it can be controlled"

"Without expectations there'd be anarchy" I raise my brows at him.

"No, that's what the government want us to think, they're the ones alongside the media who portray all these images hence why we place so many expectations on things, the government like these expectations so it produces the beautiful civilised citizen"

"It's a logical theory but in reality I don't think that's the whole purpose of the government"

"Look at how the expectations on black folk like me and white folk like you vary, me- I'm expected to go to some shit school with no dad and end up doing your hard labour work, you- you'll graduate from here, go to a top university get the top job. Why do you think there's so much praise in the top industries when blacks people overcome the media and governments image"

"I didn't think it like that" I gasp skiing everything in, of course I understood it and knew it was happening but hearing it how it is from someone who faces it themselves put it into perspective.