Chapter 14

Unedited

December 25, Christmas Day

I lay awake staring at the ceiling, my eyes would occasionally shoot to Dan who was lying besides me, he fell asleep during our documentary marathon and I felt too bad to wake him up. I watched slowly how the time on the clock moved, how every second passed and I was doing nothing.

Dan shifted on his side and I let out a small breath, it was 6 am in the morning and I was waiting to shout merry Christmas to someone but there was no one.

I silently crept up from the bed and grabbed my night-gown as I roamed through the student halls, it was dark and cold and my stomach was rumbling. Breakfast wouldn't be on for a good whole hour.

I had no idea what I was doing and I suddenly felt like a crazy women when I walked out of campus and into the dim streets in the icy cold. I was shivering like death and just as I was making my way back in I found Lucy slumped on a bench.

Now, I could just leave her and let her make her own way in. But I wasn't like that, I feared the possibility of her getting hurt and I was reminded that it was not long ago I was stranded on a bench myself.

She was sound asleep as I lifted her slightly, her body was limp, I draped one of her arms over my shoulder and pretty much dragged her in.

She was whining and murmuring things that were inaudible but I ignored her and took her into my room.

When I reached my room Dan was still fast asleep and I sighed. I brought her in here and now I didn't know what to do with her, I lied her on her old bed and wrapped a throw over her frosty skin. She was mewling and furrowing her features.

"Ella" Dan says groggily as he stirs in his sleep and I sit on the end of the bed, near his legs.

"Yes"

"Why are you up, come back" he pleads but I could not.

Come to think of it, I didn't know why I was up, maybe I was hoping for a miracle of some sort and this depressive idea that Harry would turn perfect and sway me away with him, he'd fix everything I was feeling.

But I knew it wasn't true, the more I thought of it the more I resented him, I suddenly felt angry. I despised him. I despised that he got to carry on with his family and here I was moping.

"Ella?" Dan calls again and I shake my head.

"Sorry I got lost in my thoughts"

"It's 6:40" he glances up at the clock and squints his eyes.

"Merry Christmas" I smile and he chuckles.

"You too, now come sleep, don't you need your beauty sleep for later on"

"I might grab a hot chocolate" I yawn and he frowns.

"Why are you so adamant on not lying near me?" I was afraid he'd ask that, but the truth was I wasn't in the mood for cuddles.

"I'm hungry" I state and he gets up.

"What are you doing" I ask.

"I'm hungry too" he chuckles and I shake my head.

We both use the toilets before meeting back at the cafeteria which was now opened.