Chapter 31

"Ms. Westworth, the time is 8:50. You have a meeting in 10 minutes with the board regarding the expansions. After that you have a meeting with the department heads at 11:00. Then, at 12:00 you have a lunch meeting with Mr. Bradshaw regarding your interest in his business. And you also have a phone conference with our investors from Japan at 2:30." Ashlee said as she walked into my cabin.

I had arrived to Toronto just this morning and had come straight to the company. As decided, I had left my son with his father while I came here. Although I was very reluctant to leave him, I did trust Matthew to take care of him. I had to. I had decided to come straight to the company and get everything done very quickly so that I could get back to New York by tomorrow at the least. I know I had said 2-3 days maximum but I'd rather get everything done and return to Xavier.

And Matthew too.

You'd think that being away from Matthew for a few years would make me used to being away from him. But boy was I wrong. I missed him. Annoying and all aside, I missed him. But was I ever going to let him know that? Nope. Being with Matthew for the past few days had really made me happy. Even though it started with me not liking it at all.

I made sure that he knew that it would make me very upset if he skipped his meds or didn't take them on time. He had come off his crutches before I had left and was going to get his arm cast off after he had dropped me off at the airport. He was pretty much back to normal but I still stressed him about being diligent with his health.

"We still have one meeting tomorrow, right?" I asked her as I pulled my glasses off my face and upwards into my hair.

"Actually we have two meetings." She said swiping on her iPad. "One with the foundation and the other with the CFO."

"Push them both to today. I want to get out of here as soon as I'm done." I said.

"Alright. Would you like to go to the conference room now or wait a few more minutes?" She put the iPad under her arm and looked at me.

"Oh I need to make a phone call so," I looked at my watch, "5-6 minutes, tops."

Ashlee smiled and nodded. She then left me alone in my office.

I quickly picked up my iPad and FaceTimed Matthew to see the one person I was dying to see. My baby.

"Xavier, look it's mommy." I heard as my call was picked up.

"Mommy!"

"Hey baby." I smiled watching my son come up on the screen. His hair was all over the place and he was giving her a goofy grin. "What are you doing?"

"Play with dadda!" He said as he moved the phone around.

"Sweetheart, keep the phone still." I said.

"Come here, son." Matthew said grabbing him and putting him in his lap. "I'll hold the phone and you talk to mamma."

"Mommy, when you come back?" My baby asked.

"Soon sweetie. Once I finish everything here." I said. "Has he been troubling you? Has he been sleeping okay? He gets scared at night sometimes so he may come into your room. Have you been giving him his vitamins? Also he needs his blanket before sleeping. He won't sleep without it. And-"

"-Ella. Calm down." Matthew stopped me. "My son will never be trouble for me. He has been sleeping well. He sleeps with me and has his blanket with him all the time. And I've been giving him his vitamins. Everything is fine."

I sighed and leaned back in my chair. "Sorry. I just haven't been away from him so I-"

"-I get it. Just try not to worry too much. I've got him. Just focus on your work and come back soon. We both miss you." He smiled his contagious smile that gave me the reassurance I needed.

"I miss you too." I said softly giving them a smile. "Matthew, I-"

I couldn't finish my sentence as I heard a knock on my door. Guess my 6 minutes were up.

"I'm sorry, baby. Mommy needs to go now." I said slowly. "Be good for your dad and don't get in too much trouble."

Xavier gave me a toothy grin before leaning forward. Much to mine and Matthew's surprise he kissed the screen of the phone. I laughed knowing he probably left a kiss mark on Matthew's phone.

"Love you sweetheart." I waved. I flickered my gaze over to Matthew who was smiling at me.

"We love you too." He said making Xavier wave before hanging up.

We love you too.

"Well, it seems like you've been holding down the fort here really well, Danny." I smiled leaning back into my chair. Danny was my CFO in Toronto and a very good colleague of mine. He did his job quite well and left me with no complaints. Along with that, Danny was also my last meeting for today which meant that I could finally go back to my son in New York.

"Well you trust me enough. It gives me good reassurance." He smiled.

"Mm. That and it probably also keeps you on your toes to know that if you mess up, I wouldn't hesitate to kick your ass." I grinned.

"You wouldn't hesitate to kick anyone's ass. Which is the prime reason as to why you're so successful." He said. "So how was the New York office?"

"It was good." I said and looked down at my watch. It was 8 pm. I had told Ashlee to have my pilot ready the jet for 9 pm for my departure to New York. "I know it's late but if you have the time, I wanted to speak to you about something. I need a favour from you."

"I'm listening." He said.

"You are probably the only one, besides Ashlee of course, here who knows about my son and my marriage to Matthew Hazner." I said making him nod. I sighed before continuing. "While I was in New York, Xavier met his father for the first time. And now they've practically become the best of friends. Xavier's very happy to have his father in his life. And I would hate to break that up by bringing him back here."

"Ella, you're going all over the place. What is it you're trying to say?" Danny persisted.

"I'm thinking about moving back to New York and making the office there the headquarters again." I said.

Danny smiled. "That's amazing. I'm proud of you. But I still don't understand. What do you need from me?"

"I want you to run this place." Danny raised his eyebrows probably surprised by my statement. "Look I know you're shocked but if there's anyone I can trust to do this for me, it's you."

Danny looked at me before running his hand through his hair.

"I don't need an answer now. Talk it over with Siella, and then get back to me." I said. Siella was Danny's wife of 4 years. I've met her on many occasions. She was a lovely person. Perfect for Danny. "If it's the workload that's throwing you off, know that since I'll be making New York the headquarters, most of the load will go there. To add on, I would also appoint someone to work under you and help you manage both your jobs. CFO and manager."

"Ella. I can't thank you enough for this." He smiled. "I think Siella would want me to take this. I'll do it."

I grinned and put my hand out. "Well then it's settled."

He shook my hand and I got up, taking my hand back. I walked to him and he immediately embraced me in a side hug.

"I'll see you soon, Danny." I said pulling away. "Say hi to Siella and the girls for me."

"I'll see you soon too, Ella." He said. "Good luck with Matthew." He said.

I smiled at him and walked towards the door. I opened it to leave but not before I turned back to Danny.

"One more thing." I said seriously. "I'll kick your ass if you even try to ambush my personal wine collection."

He laughed and winked at me. "Consider it an open challenge."

I rolled my eyes. "Shut up. Now hurry up and go home. Siella must be furious."

"Yeah, yeah. You hurry up and leave so I can start running this place."