Chapter 9

"Ella! Honey you're here!" Cheryl said happily as she welcomed me into her home. "Where's Xavier!"

"Oh he's-" I pointed behind me.

"Xavier! Matthew?" Cheryl said in confusion.

I looked where she was looking and saw Matthew with his sunglasses on and carrying a whiny Xavier at the same time.

He wasn't kicking and yelling anymore. He had now moved onto the silent treatment.

It looked very cute. A respected, strong and tall man that everyone feared was here carrying his 3 year old son.

Matthew came and stood beside me.

"Matthew, I was going to-" Cheryl started.

"Save it mom. We're here for breakfast so let's just do that." He said curtly.

Oh good. Now along with me, Cheryl was also on Matthew's hit list.

Cheryl looked at me with a worried expression and I made a face that said it'll be alright.

"Ganma." Xavier demanded putting his arms out for her.

Cheryl smiled and took him in her arms.

"Ganma. He not good. He bad guy." Xavier said babbling about Matthew.

I was shocked. I kind of wanted to be laugh but that would certainly not be appropriate.

"Ah there's my grandson...and my son." I heard Henry's voice say.

I heard Matthew sigh and walk past them.

"Breakfast is out back!" Cheryl yelled while cooing at Xavier who was now in Henry's arms.

"Ella, I-"

"It's fine Cheryl. I'll talk to him. I mean he already hates me so I can't do anything worse, can I now?" I said with a tight smile.

"He doesn't hate you honey." She said.

I sighed and walked past her going to Matthew. He was by the pool on the phone with someone.

I decided not to disturb him so I went to where breakfast was set up and saw a bowl of fruit.

I pick up a grape and put it in my mouth while walking to Matthew.

He finished with his conversation and turned to see me.

"Hey." He said.

I gave a nod.

"So what's all this?" I asked.

"What?"

"Look number 1, I know you're mad about not knowing about Xavier but that's on me. Not Cheryl, not Henry, not my mother. Me. If you want to be pissed at someone, it's me. Don't take it out on Cheryl." I said. He opened his mouth to speak but I spoke over him. "And number 2, I know you're not happy about Xavier not accepting you with open arms. But don't for even a second think that what I told him about you influenced that behaviour. When he was in daycare, the topic of fathers came up and Xavier did not like the emptiness and the embarrassment he had that day. And so that is why he isn't fond of you. I told him that you love him very much and that you were busy." I ended. "I hope that answers your questions. And now, if I were you, I wouldn't stand here talking on the phone. I would find Xavier and talk to him. Make him like you."

I finished what I had to say and turned to leave.

"Ella." I heard him say.

Without turning around I stopped.