Chapter 20

Still in his arms, I looked up at him with a glare.

"You can't expect me to believe that." I don't know how to react. I mean, for so long I've been in the mindset that he messed up. But no he's standing here telling me that that girl was his therapist.

"Her name is Angela. And she is truly my therapist. Her husband, Ryan Lockley, is one of my good friends and business partners." He explained.

"Why were you with her?" I asked.

"I don't know." He sighed and closed his eyes but opened them as he spoke again. "I needed to talk to someone so I was recommended to her. After you left, getting back to normal wasn't easy. It still isn't Ella. Normal is with you."

I looked up at him silently studying his face. I pursed my lips as a sign of not knowing what to say. I actually did not know what to say.

All this time I had just assumed that this Matthew had gone back to his ways only to find out that it was all blown out of proportion. That means that the years I stayed away from him were based on pure misunderstanding.

"Say something." He whispered.

I opened my mouth to say something but I couldn't form a response to what he just told me.

"I don't know what to say." I whispered and looked down.

"Tell me you love me." He said softly. "I've been dying to hear you say those words."

I looked at him with my mouth open, once again, not being able to formulate words.

Did I still love Matthew? The same as before?

Of course you do Ella. Even more than before. You're just denying it.

But he still signed the papers. He still sent me away. He should've been with me helping me recover.

"You sent me away." I said slowly.

"Ella-"

"I needed you Matthew but you just signed papers and sent me away." I felt my eyes blur with tears and I quickly looked down not wanting him to see me cry.

"But that's it. I didn't sign them." He said making my head snap up and look at him.

"What? Your signatures were on the papers." I said.

"I mean yes I did sign them but I didn't file them." He said slowly.

"What...wait what?" I shook my head. "Are you saying that we...that we're..."

"You are my wife. I am your husband." He finished.

I was completely shocked by his revelation. I didn't know what to say. But at the same time I had so many questions going through my head. One of which being why he didn't file them.

"Why didn't you file them?" I pursed my lips.

"Isn't it obvious? Shall I spell it out for you?" He mused.

I felt his arms pull me closer to him then before.

"I can show you as well. If you wish." He whispered.

I kept his gaze and felt him lower his head to mine. I snapped out of it and shook my head. I put my hands on his chest and pushed him slightly turning my face to the side.