Chapter 8

"Daddy?" Xavier said slowly as if testing the word.

Matthew smiled and nodded. "Yes, son."

Xavier's face turned into a frown. "No!" He came to me and hugged my leg. "Mommy." He whined.

I looked at Matthew as he stood up. I now took in his dressed figure. He was wearing a suit for work and his hair looked good grown out. His beard did him justice as well.

I looked at his face and saw a pained expression.

I shook my head and bent down to pick up Xavier. "Honey." I cooed.

"Mommy he not daddy." He whined. "Daddy gone."

Daddy gone.

Xavier said what he knew.

Flashback

I left the company at my regular time so I could pick up Xavier from daycare.

I know Xavier could be taken care of by Jackson at home but I wanted him to experience the normality.

When I was young and his age, though my father and mother were around, they'd send me to daycare so I would have that interaction with others that was healthy for me.

Just because I grew up blessed, my parents didn't raise me like that.

And simply, I wanted to raise Xavier like that.

I arrived at his centre and parked my car.

I made my way into the daycare and saw Miss. Belle, the woman in charge.

"Hello, Miss. Belle." I said.

"Oh Miss. Westworth. Hello." She smiled. "Mind if we have a word?"

I looked at her confused but nodded. "Yes, of course."

She led me to her office and we had a seat.

"So Xavier wasn't Xavier today." She said getting straight to the point.

"Wasn't Xavier? What are you talking about?" I demanded.

"Miss. Westworth, please listen. We had done an activity today where I had asked the children to draw a picture of their hero. Most of the children picked their fathers. Xavier had drawn you. When everyone had a chance to explain what their drawing was about, Xavier saw that it had been about their fathers. And when it was his turn to speak he talked about you and the other children had asked him why he didn't choose his dad." She sighed. "Xavier had a fit and ran off the the quiet area and he hasn't moved from there. I think-"

I had left the office before I let her finish.

I knew this would happen and it's all my fault that Xavier acted this way.

I should've told him something...anything about his father.

I am terrible. I let my baby feel embarrassed or awkward or shy. I could only imagine the hesitation of when he realized who his dad was.

He was probably so curious. It's my fault. I should have told him.

I went over to the quiet area and saw Xavier with a colouring book.