Chapter 2

Ella POV

After I ended the call, I got out of bed after tucking Xavier in.

I went to my bathroom to take a shower. After that, I got dressed. As there was a business meeting, I dressed in black trousers, a white sheer top and a black blazer. I wore my black Louboutin pumps and my Michael Kors watch.

I looked in the mirror. I saw the sparkling on my chest. I looked to see the ruby heart pendant on the necklace I was wearing. The one that Matthew got me. I still wore it. It was the next best sweet memory of him. The first, of course, being Xavier.

I sighed as I put it inside my shirt. I liked to keep this to myself. I don't like showing people I still had this. I don't know why, I guess it's just the way it is.

I fixed my hair into my high ponytail. My hair was a bit wavy today so my ponytail did look a bit wavy. For my makeup I kept it very simple with some foundation, eye liner, and mascara. I just put some lip balm on my lips.

After putting on my perfume, I went towards the bed and sat on it. I moved closer to Xavier, and caressed his forehead. "Honey." I whispered. "Xavier, sweetie, let's wake up."

He made a whining noise before slowly opening his eyes. His very tired, sick and green eyes.

"Hi, baby." I cooed. "Let's get you showered and then I let you stay in your pyjamas. After that, we'll get some food in you. And maybe we can even watch your favourite movie after."

He smiled before moving a bit and laying his head in my lap and snuggling into it.

"Mommy, you no work?" He mumbled.

"I am. Sort of. I will be going at noon, around lunch. But then I promised to be back with you at 2, okay?"

"Okay." He mumbled.

I leaned down and gave him a kiss on his brown hair. My poor baby.

After getting Xavier showered and dressed into another pair of pyjamas, I checked the time to see that it was 9 am.

"You hungry, darling?" I asked Xavier as I sat him on my bed.

He hummed in response. I rushed around my room to find his blanket and favourite bear. Once I found them I took them to him.

"Are you feeling a little better now?" I asked him as I checked his forehead with the back of my hand. His fever was gone.

He mumbled something tiredly.

"Little bit? Okay, let's get something in that tummy of yours, and then mommy and you can watch your favourite movie, okay?" I said softly as I wrapped him up in his blanket.

He smiled and I picked him up. He had his bear in on hand. He buried his head in my neck. I got out of my room and headed downstairs to the kitchen.

"Good morning, Ms. Westworth and hello to you too, Xavier." Jackson, our chef and caretaker, said.

"Jackson, it's Ella to you. You're much older than I am, and I see you as my dad. So it's Ella to you, or I might just have to let you not work in the kitchen." I teased.

Jackson was an amazing man. He was in his 40's. He didn't have a family. His wife died 2 years into their marriage, so they didn't get a chance to have kids. But Xavier keeps him busy when I'm not around.

"Oh dear, alright. So Xavier, what would you like this morning?" He asked.

Xavier made a whining sound and buried his face deeper into my neck.

I made a face and looked at Jackson apologetically. "He was a bit under the weather from last night. He had a high fever so I stayed up doing cold-cloths and this morning his fever was down. However I think he's still not feeling amazing. So I just wanted some quick food so that I could feed him his medicine by 11 am. I have a meeting at 12 pm, right here. So I'm sure with the medicine, his tiredness and the movie, he'll fall asleep. I'm guessing he'll wake up around 1 pm or 1:30 pm. My meeting should be over by then, but if it's not, you need to watch him." I explained.

"Oh, you should've woken me up! I would've helped." He said. "But yes, I will of course do that."

"Thank you." I smiled.

"No need! Now how about the two of you go to the living room while I make some delicious breakfast." He suggested.

I nodded and headed to the living room.

I sat Xavier on the L shaped couch. "Okay, honey. Cars or Despicable Me?" I asked.

"Cars." He said softly.

I sat down beside him and put on Cars. He cuddled to my side and I wrapped my arm around him.

After a about 15 minutes, Jackson came in with a tray of food. He put it down and on one of the plates, I saw two waffles covered with syrup with some fruit on the side. There was also orange juice. That was most likely for Xavier.

On the second plate I saw two pieces of toast, eggs, bacon and some fruit on the side. My coffee was also there. I looked up at Jackson who was grinning.

"Jackson, I'm only one person, you know I cannot finish this." I frowned while sitting up and grabbing Xavier's plate.

"You can and you will. You barely had dinner last night." He scolded.

I rolled my eyes. "Here, sweetie. Let's finish as much as we can and then I'll give you your medicine." I cooed while piecing his waffles. "Do you want me to feed you?"

He hummed in agreement. Usually he would eat himself. I know it sound quite a lot for a two  year old but my baby was smart.

I finished feeding Xavier. He wanted to drink the juice on his own so I let him while I tried eating my food.

I was left with a piece of toast, some bacon and my eggs were barely touched. Ever since my pregnancy, my appetite has decreased immensely. It was a side effect.

I was sipping on my coffee when my phone started to ring.

"Hello?" I said while I watched Xavier who was cuddled to my side in a blanket wrapped around him.

"Ella, honey." I heard my mother.

"Morning, mother. How are you?" I asked.

"I'm good. How's Xavier? I heard he came down with something."

"Jackson?"

"Jackson." She agreed.

"Well, he did come down with a high fever last night. As of this morning, fever's gone but he feels weak." I explained.

"That sounds, okay. But I'm still coming over tonight." She said.

"Why?" I asked.

"To check on the two of you!" She scolded.

"Alright, alright. Feel free to come over after 6. You can have dinner here."

"That's good. But I'm bringing a plus one." She said.

"Your husband?" I inquired. "You don't need to tell me, you guys are allowed."

"No, not him. Cheryl."

"Cheryl? Why?"

"Well she wants to see her grandson."

"She hasn't...um...she hasn't...um...told-"

"Told Matthew about Xavier?" She said cutting me off. "No she hasn't, but sweetheart you should!"

"I would if I could, but clearly he has moved on."

"She told me he hasn't given up." She said.

"Given up?"

"Yes. Ella. He knows you're in Toronto. He knows about you. He knows almost everything, besides the existence of Xavier." She concluded.

Shìt.