Chapter 13

Ella POV

"What is it sweetheart?" I walked over to him, past Matthew.

I picked him up and he immediately put his head on my shoulder.

"Are you hungry?" I asked walking back to the stove to check on the food.

"Hmm." He mumbled.

"Okay, baby. Just a few more minutes and we can eat." I said and looked up to see Matthew looking at us. "Till then. Why don't you go and play in the park with your father. We can have dinner out back."

He raised his head and looked at me. "Really!"

I smiled and nodded.

I put him on the ground and he waddled over to Matthew.

"Come to the park with me." He said.

Matthew smiled and nodded. He looked at me once more and went with Xavier.

I looked up to see Antoine standing by the entrance of the kitchen.

"You'll be joining us for dinner?" I asked.

Again he didn't say anything. Not one word. He answered my question with a slight shake of his head saying no.

"Well then what are you going to eat? You can't expect me to leave you hungry. That is not happening." I said sternly.

He didn't say anything.

"Do you have somewhere else to be?" I asked.

He didn't say anything but the house phone started to ring. Antoine was about to go for it but I beat him to it.

Hell no. If he can't talk to me then neither can he talk to whoever was on the phone.

I picked it up. "Hello?"

"Hi! This is Lina. Who am I speaking to?" A girl asked. Her voice was very sweet. She sounded young.

"This is Ella." I responded. "Can I help you?"

"Oh! Miss. Westworth! I'm terribly sorry for disturbing you but I was just wondering if you could allow me to speak to Antoine. I'm actually his girlfriend and I've been waiting for him at this restaurant. It's actually our anniversary. He was supposed to meet me an hour ago but he didn't show and he wasn't answering his phone either. I was starting to worry if he was alright. Can you just tell me if he's there?" She said stressed.

This poor girl. She'd been worried sick and Antoine here, didn't even tell me once about this. It's not like I wouldn't allow him to go.

I looked at Antoine who was eying me curiously. I glared at him.

"He's here and he's fine. I'm very sorry if you had to worry but you see, he didn't tell me that he had to leave. I'm terribly sorry that he's not with you. But I assure you that is where he's going right now." I said softly.

"Oh no! Don't do that. I know how serious he is about work. Just tell him I'm going back to my apartment and we could do this another time." She said sweetly. Man this girl was so understanding. How could she be so patient.

"But don't you want to talk to him. He's right here. I can-"

"No no. I don't want to be a bother. Just please tell him that I'll be at my apartment. Oh and I haven't spoken to him but just tell him to eat on time and to take care of himself. Oh and tell him I love him. Thank you." She said.