Three.

Cheating Death

Sitting on the plush bed of the Gilbert's room, Elena was looking over herself in the mirror as Athena was checking her nails

Sitting on the plush bed of the Gilbert's room, Elena was looking over herself in the mirror as Athena was checking her nails. "She was acting weird, Elena. Bonnie never acts like that." She stated and the girl sighed while shaking her head. "Well, maybe she was just having a rough day." She tried to persuade the girl only for her to furrow her eyebrows when she saw Elena not look her in the eyes. The girl looked over her face and raised an eyebrow. "What are you hiding from me?" She asked and Elena rolled her eyes.

"Nothing." She mumbled and the girl sighed while walking over to her and pulling out her wand.

"I'll force you." She tempted and the girl sighed.

"I need to tell you the truth about everything, Athena. The vampires and how I'm a doppelgänger." She stated at first and Athena listened to every word.

How the girl was being tormented by her doppelgänger named Katherine and how she threatened Bonnie today as Stefan saved her. How Damon is Stefan's brother and they are both vampires.

The girl took it all in and shook her head as she placed it on a pillow. "It's too much." She breathed out and Elena laid down next to her.

"I know." She stated and that's when the girls gasped when the windows flew open and showed off Damon Salvatore in all his glory when Elena held her chest.

"Oh! You scared us." Elena said timidly as Athena kept her wand in her hand.

"Just doing my part in the neighborhood watch." He said stolidly and the girl sighed.

"Thanks. For, um, looking out for us. For me." Elena told him as he looked over her and Athena who held fear in her eyes.

"That's me, your trusty bodyguard. Calm in a crisis." Damon stated and Athena caught a whiff of his breath as she held her nose.

"Have you been drinking?" She asked and he held up his hand and pinched his fingers slightly together as a little bit sign. Elena shook her head and back away slightly.

"And you're upset. That's not a good combination." Elena stated and Athena got up as Damon got up to the girl.

"No, I'm not upset. Upset is an emotion specific to those who care." He mumbled and Athena felt sorry for him.

"Come on, Damon. We might have just met but I know you're lying. You care." She teased slightly and the vampire looked over her.

"You're surprised that I thought you would kiss me back? You can't imagine that I'd believe that you'd want to?" Damon started off his rant as Elena pulled Athena away.

"Damon..."

"That what we've been doing here means something? You're the liar, Elena. And you're dragging Athena here with you. There is something going on between the two of us, and you know it. And you're lying to me, and you're lying to Stefan, and most of all, you're lying to yourself. I can prove it." Damon stated as Elena shook her head.

"Damon, don't." She mumbled and Athena pushed Elena slightly as she held out her wand.

Damon's eyes sparked as he looked over the engraved piece of wood. "A witch?" He asked and the girl held her wand high.

"Leave." She commanded and the vampire held up his hands.

"Damon I would do what she said." She told him as he went over to Athena and pressed her against the wall.

The contact made her drop the wand in surprise and when she felt his teeth dig into the side of her neck she screamed. Elena called out for her as Jermey bursted the door open.

"What's going on in here?" He asked and Damon pulled away while the girl gasped and held in neck in pain.

"Jeremy it's nothing, go back to bed." Elena pleaded as Athena sobbed.

"No, it's not okay, Elena. He wants to be a vampire." He stated and Damon went over to Jeremy as he hit him against the wall.

"No, Damon, stop it!" Elena screamed and Damon held his hand over his neck.

"You want to shut out the pain? It's the easiest thing in the world. The part of you that cares, it just goes away! All you have to do is flip the switch and snap!" He screamed and then sounded off a crack for Jeremy's neck as Athena screamed.

Her heart wrenched out as Damon was flung against the wall and Athena grabbed Jeremy's body.

Everything went silent as Athena didn't know what to do as she shook Jeremy's body with her own. "Please, come back. Jeremy." She sobbed and blood dropped down her tan skin as she looked over Damon with hatred.

"Get out! Get out or so help me I'll kill you!" She screamed and used her hand to levitate him over the stairs as he fell.

She cried and Elena pulled Jeremy in her lap. She held his hand and sighed when she felt a cool metal against his finger. "He's going to be okay." She whimpered as Athena looked down as gasped in relief.

Athena placed her head against his chest and cried. "He saw the ring that why he did it." Stefan concluded as Athena shook her head.

"He didn't see the ring." She sobbed and Stefan sighed.

"It's Katherine. She got under his skin. She undid everything that was good about him." He told her as Elena shook her head.

"There is nothing good about him. Stefan, not anymore. He's decided what he wants. He doesn't want to feel, he wants to be hated. It's just easier that way. He got his wish." Elena stated and she sobbed.

"I hate him, Stefan." She cried and her boyfriend pulled her close.

"I know. I know." He cried with her and kissed her shoulder.

As they waited Jeremy gasped and Athena held him.

"Jeremy." She whispered and he looked up at her as if he saw an angel.

"Is he okay? Stefan, is he okay?" Elena asked and he looks over him.

"He's okay." He breathed out as Athena hugged him.

"Damon killed me." He gasped out and the girl hugged him tighter.

"Shh, it's okay." She whispered in his ear as he held her back and she cried into his neck.

<>•<>•<>•

So, here you have it. A small filler chapter of what's about to happen to her and Damon's relationship.

< Edited >