Tell Me Why

🔑

I woke up to the sound of knocking. I slowly sit up and see Natsu asleep next to me, huddled up in a ball. I get up and open the door. 

"So, you guys get a good night sleep~?" Natsu's mom asked as I opened the door.

"I guess you could say that. But, what was this fuss he said he had?" I asked.

"Oh, come downstairs and eat some dinner while I tell you." She said as I followed her downstairs. She served me some of the leftover dinner they had and explained how Natsu reacted when he couldn't find me.

"He kept calling us to see if you came back. When he got home, he locked himself in his room and kept saying your name over and over again. None of us could calm him down. He didn't get any sleep last night either, so that's why he passed out now."

"He did that... Just because of me?" I said, playing with my food.

"Yes he did. I bet that if I go up there, wake him up, and say that you're missing again, he'll flip out again. Wanna see?" She asked. I hesitated for a moment, but then nodded. I wanted to see how bad of a reaction this is, and why he has it.

She got up and disappeared up the stairs. I sat every still and strained to hear them. I could barely hear her, but I could hear that she told him. The next thing I hear, is a scream, and loud thudding. I see him run downstairs and quickly look around. He sees me and runs over to me. He grabs onto me again and doesn't let go again. His mom then sat back down.

"You see?" She said. I nodded, but stayed silent. Natsu was probably terrified that I was gone again, and probably mad at his mom for tricking him. After a few minutes though, his mom left and stayed in her room. That's when I decided to speak.

"Why Natsu? Why do you get this terrified for stupid old me?"

"Lucy... Just shut up." He says.

"No. For once in my life, I would like to know the reason behind someone's actions." I say, tearing out of his grasp and looking him straight in the face. His eyes were baggy and red, and I could tell that he didn't like me pulling away, but I wanted an answer.

"I've told you why." He mumbled.

"Then I need to hear it again! Because all I'm feeling like right now, is a prisoner again!" I nearly yell.

"My dad held me in his house as his punching bag. That was prison. My depression keeps me locked up in sadness, lonely emotions, and wanting to kill myself. A prisoner. Now I feel like I can't do a single thing because you'll flip out! I'm your little prisoner! So tell me, why?!" I said, now yelling.

"Because, I care about you. Just the thought of loosing you makes me go insane. The thought of you having a blade is terrifying. The thought of you sneaking away is modifying." He explains.

"OK, you gave me reasoning, but you know that's not what I want to hear."

"What do you want to hear?"

"You know exactly what I want to hear. Even though it scars me, having you say it let's me know its true. But if you can't say it anymore..."

"Freakin' I love you Lucy Heartfilia. I love you! I love you! I love you! How many more times do you want me to say it before you believe me?" He said, slouching over a chair. I got back up and wrapped my arms back around him.

"I always believe you, no matter what you say, but sometimes, I need to hear your voice say it so I know that I'm not making it up." I whisper.

"Now, I'm going to become your father and change the subject. I'm going back home tonight, remember? You can walk me there so you know that I'm safe." I said.

"Better idea, I'm staying the night with you there." He said.

"Wait what?!" I said, but I was too late. He was already walking out the door while holding onto me.

Good thing I had my bag and things with me, otherwise we'd have to come back to get it.