23. Restrain

Magdalene

Magdalene

"So, sex deal, huh?" Lysa is relentless in her questioning, " That means that if you saw Runner with someone new, you'd be totally fine, right?"

"Someone new?"

"Yes. After the wedding, he'd be free to have another one of those... sex deals with someone else. Another woman or rather two other women if I am to judge by what I saw of him before you came into his life. You'd just sit back and watch him shove his tongue down a random girl's throat and you'd shrug it off. Correct?" Lysa's eyes narrow in a challenge.

I know I have to say "yes" now. Agree that I'd be totally fine. Totally fine after that first real date of my life. Totally fine after truly sleeping for the first time in his arms. Totally fine after I found out what pleasure is. Sure, totally fine.

No, I will not be fine with it and no, I will not shrug it off. I almost lost it back with that bitch in his office and at the burger joint. If I see any other woman touch him, I will probably march over and break any arm seductively wrapped around him.Which probably means that I am not fine with any of it. I should but I am not cause I am a freaking idiot. What the fuck have I gotten myself into again?

"I..."

Panic raises waves inside me and I choke on air. What a glorious mess I have made! No matter how much it freaked me out, I have replayed that "I love you" again and again in my head – playful as it was. It was totally wrong seeing that I am a mess of a woman that seems to be perfectly capable of ruining her life and the life of others around her. And still, each time it ran in my mind, it sounded more and more...right. How am I ever to keep a straight face seeing Runner with someone else after that stupid deal I have fashioned?

"Yeah, thought so," Ava concluded. "I see how you are around him, Magda. That is not the way a woman that is simply looking for a good time acts. You got feelings for the man. So my question is simple: how the fuck did you agree to do this?"

"I asked him to," I confess.

They all look at me with the most eloquent look on their faces. Ava shakes her head and sighs and Lysa looks at me as if I have lost my mind, which is probably the correct assessment. But Iris is the first to move. She takes my hand in hers and she smiles frowning in that cute way that makes Rage lose his mind.

"I hate to sound like a broken record, sweetie, but you fucked up. Again."

I did. I did it again. I am cursed to make one mistake on top of the other and never do the right thing at the right time. I should have left with Salome back then, I shouldn't have pursued Lysa, I should have stayed with Runner, I shouldn't have talked to him. Whether I do something or not, it ends being the wrong thing. For me and for everyone else around me.

"Magda?" Lysa asks worriedly.

"I...I need to go," I get up.

"Magda, listen to me. It's OK," Lysa gets up as well.