21. Date

Magdalene

He is right goddamn it! I will never never admit it but he is right. I like riding the bike but this ride? This is the best. For two reasons. One is that I am glued to his body, his cut against my skin, my arms wrapped around him, my chin on the crook of his neck. The second is that he is in control.

I coveted for control my whole life. I grew up without it, it was taken from me by my own father. When Salome pulled me out of Hell, she promised to make me powerful and she did. I practiced every day, I grew stronger and I swore I would never give a man control over my life.

But with Runner, I don't mind. He is claiming more and more, each time asserting his power over me and when he does, I relish the feeling. I let go, I let him do what he wants to do to me. I should be fucking scared allowing him have that kind of power over me but I don't. There's a simple reason for that, a reason beyond logic, undeniable and unstoppable: I trust him.

Even so, I am scared. Scared by his claim, scared of my own feelings, scared that someone will get hurt in the end. I used to be scared for me, my heart, my soul, the pain I'd feel. But now I don't. I am scared for him, his heart, his soul, his pain. When I will break down into the mess I usually am, he will be the one in pieces. And thinking of him hurt, makes me want to wail and cry.

"Here we are," Runner says and parks his bike in front of a burger joint.

I let go of my dark thoughts and smile. The man wanted us to have a burger and we will no matter how much I protest. Runner puts both our helmets on his bike and gives me his hand. I don't even think, I just put my hand in his as he helps me off his bike and I follow him inside.

The place is packed almost full and all of these people – staff included – look at us. I pretend I don't notice the attention and I look around. It's a nice, clean place, with wood decoration and the smell of bacon in the air. Damn him, he found my weakness. Bacon! The smell alone has me salivating and I grin.

"Someone is hungry," he gives me a little squeeze and guides me to a free table.

"This is...nice," I say.

"Yeah, I like it too. My mother used to bring me here all the way from Oakland whenever we could afford it and it's kind of special to me. I brought Ryan here when I found him on the streets."

"Ryan?"

"Rage," he smiles sweetly.

I have seen how he is with Rage, the only other person the Hellhound listens to that is not Iris. Runner is a good man. Yeah, he walks on the wrong side of the law and he may have done terrible things for his brothers but deep down he is a good man. He deserves more.

"Let's take a seat," he leads me by the hand in a cheerful manner.

I watch as others get out of their way when Runner is in their path. Some of the men look scared, some jealous. But it's the women that catch my eye. They all look at Runner as if he is a juicier than the burgers they eat. Some fling their hair, some lick their lips and they all have the same thing in their head: ride Runner.

I must be seriously hungry cause my basic brain functions don't work. A tidal wave of jealousy swells in me and I pull closer to I drive my hand up his arm, staking an open claim. Runner stops instantly and his body tenses. I look up to him and he sports a wide smile on his lips. He looks around and chuckles amused. I am so stupid! I scream internally and I try to move away. I don't get the chance. He let's go on my hand, wraps his thick arm around my waist, pulls me flush against his side and even leaves a kiss on the top of my head.

"Jealous, Mags?" He leans to whisper in my ear.

"No," I lie for the millionth time to him.

He laughs and he challenges me to tell the truth. I grit my jaw and let my nostrils flare in annoyance.