7. Drunk

Magdalene

Magdalene

I got to give it to Ava, Lysa and Iris. They got balls. One day after the wild appearance of a bunch of killing thieves and they are still on for the bachelorette. There was a small swarm of bikers passing by Rider Lane - as the girls call the little neighborhood they have created – all night to keep an eye for any danger but that didn't mean that the Valkyries are afraid.

"No, baby!" Lysa is on the phone with Vik. "Was I there when you were partying?" I hear Vik almost yelling. "Vik, Ava has asked her uncle to send in some troops so we will be protected," Lysa shakes her head. "Fine, have your own party too."

"God, I love the Riders but all this alpha male shit is driving me crazy," Ava is here to pick us up.

Being the mother in our midst makes her the designated driver which means they got plans to drink. I am on antibiotics and I never drink so I guess it's just Lysa and Iris. And Iris doesn't seem like a party girl.

"I find it hot," Iris comments on what Ava said.

"You find it hot cause Rage is the most ferocious of the lot when it comes to you and you find everything Rage does hot. I bet you are turned on when he sneezes."

"Well, he twitches his nose so cutely and-"

"For the love of god, Iris!" Ava shakes her head.

"OK, let's go!" Lysa claps her hands. "Galina and Tanya said everything is cleaned, the DJ is in, the bar is set! The girls are waiting for us by the pool."

"I thought you didn't drink," Ava smiles.

"It's my bachelorette, bitches!!"

Lysandra's voice is so heavy with enthusiasm and joy that I bite my lower lip and turn to her. She is in a black bikini already and she looks smoking hot. But what gets me is that smile. That honest, real, genuine smile. I tried to kill her and she is happy that I am here. My eyes drift down on her belly. She has a majestic tattoo of her as a Valkyrie flying with two wings on her back. But I know. I know what that tattoo hides. The bullet hole.

"I think I'll skip this," I try to wiggle out of this.

"At the pool with the girls" is not for me, not for people like me. Salome tried. She tried to help me with her love and her compassion, with a home, with therapy. I am not the mess I once was but still...

"Magdalene, you'd be surprised," Lysandra says enigmatically.

I look into her eyes and I am sure she has read my mind. It's not that her life was all roses and candy and yet here she is. She is giving this "happiness" thing a shot. Ava and Iris look at me with the same look on their faces. They all went up their Golgotha and they came down, not unscathed but still standing.

"I mean, I am shot," I play the sympathy card.

"Bitch, please," Ava pats me on the back. "I was shot," she shows her tattoo, "and Lysa was shot and Iris was whipped bloody and we are still rocking those bikinis. You had but a scratch."