5. Pain

Magdalene

Magdalene

I want to faint from pain but I can't. Runner is so close, his breath is caressing my ear, his body is supporting me, his big hands around mine. His scent envelops me in a cocoon of leather and a warm, resinous scent underneath. I am not fucking fainting and missing this!

"Doc, I need my maid of honor up and running," Lysa kneels by my side.

"I can guarantee up but that running thing won't happen for a while. Got it!" Doc takes out the bullet and shows it to me.

I struggle to maintain my senses and I let go of the leather belt. Lysa smiles to me and I nod to show her I am still here. She pats me on my shoulder and then glances at Runner that is still close and a silent exchange takes place between them.

"Lysa?" Daniel runs in and comes straight to his daughter.

The warm feeling that I was bathing in is shuttered when I see the love Daniel has for Lysa. True fatherly love, pure, like it should be. I never had that, I don't know how that feels. Daniel searches her body and then turns to me.

"What the fuck is she doing here?" Daniel seethes. "You fucking did this?"

Runner tightens his grip around me, pulling me to him instinctively. This raw act of possessiveness makes me shiver with a sudden pleasure. The feel of his body against mine brings forth the most untimely urges that stop when Runner growls.

"Shut your mouth, bror."

"Dad," Lysa takes her father's hand. "Magdalene got shot to protect me."

Daniel looks at me with disbelief and searches Lysa's eyes that nods. He takes a long look at the bullet on the floor and the blood staining the carpet. His eyes return to me and he nods to himself.

"You did this? Saved my girl? Last time I checked you were bound on punching her to death."

"Well," I try to sound light. "I am her maid of honor now. It's in my duties. Keep her calm, hold the bouquet, make sure she is not shot. Stuff like that."

First one to react is Runner that breaks down laughing, making my body shake with his while he tightens his grip even more as if he would like me to be one with him. And for a moment there, I want it too.

"Damn, Magdalene," Daniel shakes his head. "I've heard of mood swings but you overdid it. You were the reason Lysa was shot the first time and now..."

He is right. I got Lysa shot. I got him shot. Salome is dead. "Father" is dead. What the fuck am I doing here? Who exactly am I pretending to be? My body goes rigid and it has nothing to do with Doc sewing up my wound. I am a mess, a fucking mess. I don't belong here. I need to go, hit the road and be gone. But then Daniel leans in with a smile on his lips.

"I like this new Magdalene," he says. "Thank you."

That's all he says and gets up. Lysa caresses my cheek and follows her father. And Runner? Runner wraps his arms around my waist and breaths over my neck. He says nothing but he doesn't need to.