6. No

Runner

Runner

I watch as Magdalene goes into Lysa's truck and I stand dumbstruck. I am still covered in her blood, my heart beats hard from all the agony and my body still feels hers against it. Yet, she just walked away without turning back. Again. She left me again.

"Brother, what do you want me to do with him?" Wood has that fucker in his hands.

That's exactly what I need. A distraction and someone to take my anger out on. She talked to me. After all this time and aside from that lame "I can't", she talked to me. She said my name, she joked. She leaned against me, held on to me tight as Doc dug that fucking bullet out. And she just left.

"I got him, brother."

That fucker is big but I am a mass of fury and he dared hurt Magdalene. He will pay. I raise my fist and I land it on his face. He falls on the floor. I grab him by his shirt and I punch him again.

"You dared shoot her, you stupid asshole!" I scream in his bloodied face. "I will bury you."

"Not so fast," Ava intervenes. "That motherfucker is worth 30.000$."

"That motherfucker shot my-"

I hold back from calling Magdalene "my woman" out loud. She is not. She doesn't want to be. As long as she was in need of a guard when she was our prisoner or someone to hold her hand while she bled out, I was good enough.

I may have held my tongue but Ava fills in the blanks on her own. Her eyes pierce deep into mine and I know she sees it all. I glance at the asshole that put a bullet in her and I go out to my bike. I need to be away right now or I will murder anyone looking at me funny. I rev the bike and I ride for a while, aimlessly on the back roads to clear my head.

My life was fucking great before I saw Magdalene take down three Riders from an eastern chapter when we went in to get Daniel, Vik and Lysa out. She was beaten down by Vik but as soon she was up, she was not coming in nicely. She was so beautiful and fierce, my heart was caught. And when we got back, those weeks while Lysa recovered, she was so lost, so trapped in her own mind, I couldn't help but be drawn to her.

I still remember those days. The days I went to her every day, sat across her and talked to her, hoping she would spare a glance my way. And I rejoiced each time she brought those eyes of hers to me. It was all I needed to brighten my day. Those weeks, when she was held downstairs, were the best and worst of my entire life. I felt fucking alive being around her but I was crashed each time she scorned or ignored me.

"Fuck this," I turn the bike and I go straight to Vik's place.

Tor may argue all he wants, but Ava is the queen of the Riders. She has bought a house in the suburbs and Bjorn moved in with her. Iris and Rage bought the one next to them and Lysa followed suit. The quiet, underdeveloped area is turning into a real Rider den. Another reason to envy my brothers. Those places are real homes, with yards and porches, warm living rooms and sunny bedrooms.