9. Hangover

Magdalene

Magdalene

Great Prophet Isaiah! This awakening is hitting me hard in the head. My eyelids feel like they are made of lead, my mouth is stuffed with sand and my stomach is on the super quick spin program. At least it's quiet and dark here.

And where is here exactly? I fight with my reluctant eyelids and I open them. Standard issue ceiling that can be anything from a cheap hotel to a jail cell. I make an effort to get up but the world spins faster than even Dead or Alive ever dreamt of.

"Take it easy."

That voice...That soft, deep voice. Runner. My eyes suddenly snap open and I lift my torso in a move that comes to bite me in the ass. I get seriously dizzy and light-headed and my eyes instinctively close back down.

"I said," I feel a pair of strong arms around me, "take it easy."

I open my mouth but there is no way coherent words will come out of that vast desert so I shut it before I start croaking like a frog.

"You need to drink water, Magda. I will pull you up just a little."

I fight with all I've got and I slowly open my eyes again and try to focus. When I finally do, I see that I am in a room with shut windows and simple furniture and an open door to a bathroom. But my interest in decoration fades when my eyes fall on Runner. He is shirtless – again - and it takes me a few seconds to appreciate all his broad, hairy chest and the long cross hanging around his neck. That cross... A flash memory comes to me but I can't focus clearly.

"Magda?"

I look up and meet his warm eyes. His hair is tousled and his thick eyebrows are knit as he regards me with worry. Ava, Lysa and Iris were so so so wrong. This man is the most handsome man, not only amongst the Riders but ever!

"Magda, drink the water!" Runner orders agitated and I comply.

I sip the water and take the Advil he is offering me. I have been hit hard in the ring and woke up in the hospital but this... I never thought that the innocent-looking cocktails with their umbrellas and fruits and plastic monkeys could do such damage. Of course, I was taking antibiotics and that didn't help.

"Where...?"

There's the croak I've been fearing. This is so embarrassing! Here he is looking like a real-life Adonis and I am dazed and perhaps smelly and god knows what else. But then again, he was there when I was tied to a wall when I was first brought in, screaming and kicking so this is probably the best he has ever seen me.

"You're in my room," he says suddenly too pre-occupied with the water bottle he is holding.

Did we...? I remember almost nothing from last night. I was at the escort and we drunk and danced and then we were arguing which of our men... Correction! They were arguing which of their men is the most handsome and Ava practically shoved us in her car but not before Lysa grabbed a bottle of rum and we drunk more on our way to the clubhouse and then...blank.