Chapter 57: I'm Sorry Tyler, You Know I Just Can't

Start from the beginning

"What the heck went down tonight? He's still driving around town searching for you," Mona arched an eyebrow, pushing her hair back until it stood upright in all directions.

A pang in my chest caused me to wheeze and brown eyes flickered with remorse.

"No, no, please don't cry again," She said quickly, "I have enough snot on my shirt to last me a lifetime."

The corners of my lips twitched at her attempt to make me smile but I shook my head at her first question.

"I don't want to t-talk about it," I croaked as she scooted closer and pursed her full lips, wondering whether to push me to talk or not.

Dark with anger and dull with exhaustion, weary eyes scanned my glassy eyes until I blinked at her to leave me be for the night. Mona nodded and sunk her head deeper into her pillow, frowning at the stick-on-stars that were scattered across her ceiling.

"Fine, have it your way Ash," She pulled me into her chest and stroked my hair as I bit back the waterworks in an attempt to catch a few hours of sleep. "But tomorrow you have a great deal of explaining to do."

I bit my lip and closed my eyes, struggling to draw any oxygen into my lungs when the thought of an explanation filled my mind. Did she want to know about what went down tonight or did she want to know what all of this stemmed from? If it was the latter option then I would rather set myself on fire and drink the water that could put me out because an explanation meant the truth. All of it.

**

My eyelids were glued together with a sickening amount of gunk but just because I couldn't see, that didn't mean my hearing was impaired. Hushed whispers filled the room, angry and rushed as two people fought just metres away from me. I tried to ignore them by burying my face further into the pillow but the events of last night flickered behind my eyelids and a silent sob racked through me.

"I can't believe you told him she was here! We agreed that–"

"He was going out of his mind! He turned up to my house at three a.m. looking like hell!"

"So what?" Mona hissed, pausing for a second. "She looks worse!"

A pause filled the room and I felt the weight of their gazes as they looked at me. Feigning a deep slumber, I breathed more heavily until I was certain they were no longer watching me.

Blake sighed heavily, "You haven't seen how bad Ty looks."

Mona shrieked with frustration.

"I don't care how he looks! I care about what the hell he did to break Ashley," She paused, breathing heavily as she began to pace the room. A person her size should have fluttered around the room with feet so small but her footsteps were louder than a stampede of elephants. "I've never seen her like this Blake. She couldn't even stand up by herself! I think whatever is going on runs much deeper than whatever Tyler's making it out to be."

"He said they had a fight and I believe him," Blake snapped.

"Well I don't believe it. You should have seen the way her face paled yesterday when I dropped her home after school. It was like she'd seen a ghost. He lied to her that he had some soccer shit to do."

"So? Maybe he had a valid reason," Blake defended his best friend. "And we're gonna found out whatever the hell has been happening because Tyler's on his way. I had to put him out of his misery and tell him that she was safe and sound over here."

"What do you mean he's on his way?" Mona shrieked and I shuddered. "You did not tell him!"

"I did. I'm sorry babe."