Chapter 6: He Has Me Up Against The Wall

"Ashley, could you come to the front please?" Ms Smith's voice cut through the bustling chatter as everybody was in the midst of their cake baking.

The aroma of caramelized fruits and rich cinnamon danced beneath my scent receptors. Exasperated, I stared down at my gooey cake mix, setting the bowl onto the granite counter before glancing up to meet Ms Smith's steel-grey eyes.

Taking my time to peel off the oven gloves, I held her gaze.

She snapped, "Now!"

I hurried towards the front of the class, away from the gleaming worktops and past the desks. A couple of curious eyes followed me around the room but got bored when they realised there was nothing interesting to see.

"Yes Miss?" My voice was tight behind my deep frown.

"Where is Tyler?" She asked, leaned forward on her desk and glaring up at me.

Raising my eyebrows at her, confusion invaded my features as I hastily tucked a strand of hair behind my ears.

"What do you mean 'Where is Tyler?' Do I look like I had the faintest clue? You're the teacher, aren't you?"

I didn't intend for it to come out so snappy and patronising, but Ms Smith slapped her hand onto her desk and leaned forward menacingly. Grey eyes hardened into steel, glimmering with spite.

"Don't try to act smart with me young lady unless you want a detention!" Droplets of spit rained down on her marking as she tried to keep a lid on her fury. Boy did this woman have a temper!

"Sorry," I forced out, biting my lip to refrain myself from saying anything else rude. It was hard to show Ms Smith any kindness when she treated her students like turd on her shoe.

"You still haven't answered my question. This assignment requires two people. You won't even bag half the marks without the help of your partner."

I lost control of all the muscles around my mouth, causing it to fall open, wide enough to catch a dozen flies as my jaw clanged to the floor.

"What! You are kidding me right?" I balled my hands into tight fists, "You mean that I have to have a partner?"

She scoffed, leaning back in her seat and picking up her red pen.

"Not a partner, you're gonna need Tyler Miller."

A cruel half-smile played upon her thin skinny lips making my blood boil. I couldn't figure why she was being stubborn, inconsiderate and just plain rude. Why was she forcing me to work with Tyler when I was capable of handling the assignment myself? He hates me. No scratch that - Tyler loathes me.

Glaring at her, I tried to look past her eyes and catch a glimpse of the foolery going on in her mind, but no attempt at reading her mind was going to work. Especially when those steel-grey eyes were boring into mine with nothing other than disinterest and disdain.

In basic terms, there was no point in bothering with the project. Not when Tyler would rather chew on a turd and spit it into my face than cooperate with me. I wouldn't even earn enough points to scrape an E grade.

I exhaled slowly, pinching the bridge of my nose and shaking my head angrily.

"Why can't you just let me work on my own? I'm perfectly capable of doing this on my own!"

"Rules are rules," Ms Smith's eyes taunted me to come up with a smartass retort, coaxing me into a detention with her.

"But aren't they your rules?" I snapped, digging my nails into my palms as my breathing became shallow.