Chapter 57: I'm Sorry Tyler, You Know I Just Can't

Start from the beginning

Somehow, through my incoherent sobs and Mona's frantic questions, she managed to figure out where I was through a detailed description of the nearest street and the route I took to get here. She made me promise to stay put and hung up, leaving me to dwell upon how Tyler would never have hung up on me. He would have kept me talking or cracked his lame jokes even if it put him at risk while he was driving.

Despair forced me to curl up on the ground and I closed my eyes, letting tears trickle into my hair as I clutched my stomach and cursed the big man up there for throwing me a bigger bite than I could chew when it came to hardships in life.

I just wanted to be okay; and Tyler did that. He made me feel okay. In fact, he made me feel amazing all the damn time and here I was, ignoring his calls because his betrayal twisted my gut into coils that I couldn't unwind.

An hour later, two arms latched onto my shoulders and I screamed, only to be silenced by brown eyes that flickered in the orange glow that the street lights emitted.

"Ash?" Mona let out a low whistle when she helped me to my feet. My knees buckled and if it wasn't for her tight grip, I would have smacked my face into the ground. "Holy shit, what happened to you?"

Her question only made me cry harder so she frowned deeply and held back any curiosity until we were in her car. I ignored her secretive glances and turned up the radio, winding down the window so the brisk breeze could dry the tears on my cheeks as they rolled down and seeped into my shirt.

As she eased me out of her car, we stumbled through her house and she gently laid me down on her bed after forcing me into a pair of Chloe's pyjamas. My aching head throbbed from the excessive crying and it felt like my veins were filled with molasses. Mona paced her room, holding her cellphone to her ears. Just as my eyes fluttered closed, I heard her hiss into her phone, wild with rage.

"You fucking douchebag, what did you do to her?"

My mind was too slow to make the connection since I was falling in and out of consciousness.

"Let you talk to her? What are you? Stupid?" Mona hissed, shooting a glance at me to check that I was still asleep. I flung my eyelids shut and breathed heavily, exaggerating the rise and fall of my chest until I was certain she was no longer looking at me.

When I cracked over my eyelids, Mona was no longer pacing his room but staring out of the window. She held the curtain open and glared at the sky, listening to whatever Tyler had to say before her features crumpled up with disbelief.

"Are you kidding me?" She hissed and I wondered if my boyfriend explained everything to Mona.

He wouldn't do that, I thought quietly. Despite the gaping crack that Tyler had wedged between us, he would never betray my trust and tell her my deepest secrets.

But he already has. He betrayed your trust and told your mom everything, a voice in my mind whispered back.

"I found her curled up on the fucking ground in the middle of nowhere....No, you listen here, I don't care if I don't know the full story!" She paused, rubbing the crease between her brow and exhaled sharply. "If you could see her right now Tyler..."

Mona glanced over her shoulders and this time I couldn't pretend to be asleep anymore. Our eyes locked and she mustered a forceful smile. Turning her attention back to Tyler, she grunted into the phone and frankly, I'd never heard my friend curse more in my entire life than I did during that five minute call.

"We'll talk later asshole. I'm not in the mood to hear your bullshit when it's three in the morning."

Mona hung up and tossed her phone to the ground making me wince when it slammed into the wall. When she slumped down onto the bed beside me, I turned to my side and eyed my friend in the dark as her shoulders shook with fury. Terror flitted across my eyes until her gaze softened but her brown eyes were steel, hard and rigid. Although it was nowhere near the scale of fury I'd seen in guys like Tyler, Jonah or Dylan, her dilated pupils terrified me as they studied my puffy lips, scarlet nose and bloodshot eyes.