Chapter 34: Confrontation With The Bitch

Start from the beginning

I sat still as she worked a warm blush onto my cheeks and before I knew it, she was dabbing a pale pink lipstick on my lips.

"You can open your eyes dear."

The pride that coated her voice was almost as overwhelming as the wide smile on her face, but it wasn't until my reflection grinned back at me that I stared in awe, marvelling at her work.

Liquid gold eyes blinked at me, reinforced with a splash of gold on my lids that shone in the light, sparkling every time I moved an inch but the dark smokey black effect managed to downplay the sharp winged eyeliner.

The splash of blush on my cheeks gave my face a rosy glow like a cold breeze had nipped the skin and the soft colour on my lips made my grin stretch even wider.

"I...I..." Choking on words, I closed my lips and stared up at her.

"Don't you dare cry and ruin your eyes. Now hurry up and put on that dress," She lifted her wrist and eyed the time on her watch with a tight-lipped frown, "You have ten minutes to do your hair and put on your dress. Think you can manage that without ruining your makeup?"

I nodded, watching my reflection mimic my movement. Standing up, I enveloped Mom into a tight hug, mumbling my thanks before quickly kicking her out of my room.

I didn't want to make Tyler wait around for long so instead of following my original plan to straighten my hair, I plugged my curling iron into the socket and pulled out a comb. Detangling my air dried hair, I strengthened my natural curls until they bounced around lower back, a few inches shy of my waist. Then I sectioned my hair into small parts, grabbed numerous bobby pins and clipped the majority of my curls up into an up-do, leaving wispy curls to frame my face.

Once I was satisfied, I sprayed my favourite perfume onto my neck and slipped into my dress, careful not to crumple the lacy, skater skirt region. It wasn't anything eye-catching, just a knee-length, fitted, sleeveless dress. The bold choice in colour made me feel quite nervous but the high neckline soothed my nerves. It was clinched tightly around my waist and revealed my figure but at least my blood-red dress was modest compared to whatever Michelle's minions intended on wearing.

Jewellery was no issue; I simply clasped my best-friend silver locket around my neck and the winking diamond heart rested snugly at the base of my collarbone.

When the doorbell rang, I grabbed my coat and staggered down the staircase, moving fast before coming to an abrupt halt once Mom and Tyler came into full view. When did she get downstairs before me?

That should have the least of my problems since her hands were fiddling about Tyler's neck, fixing his twisted white collar and his thin, dark red tie.

"What are you doing Mom?" I sucked my breath in, astonished by her motherly behaviour towards the Tyler.

Heat filled my cheek as she held up her hands in defence, removing her hands away from Tyler's tie that had been originally crooked, blown to the side by the wind.

"Just fixing his tie. Don't you think It's such a coincidence it matches your dress?" She winked at Tyler as he smiled sheepishly, keeping his gaze fixated on me as he drank in my outfit.

"Give it a rest Mom," I mumbled, annoyed that I couldn't hide my blush behind my hair from the way his eyes raked over me.

To be honest, my eyes roamed all over his tuxedo that fittingly hugged his muscles, hinting at what lay beneath the black material. The blood-red tie was the only splash of colour and I couldn't help but gawk at the way he had slicked his hair back making it look anything but shaggy and dishevelled like usual.