Chapter 29: Past Lives, Past Loves

Start from the beginning

A horseshoe desk enclosed the receptionist, wrapping around the entire length of one wall, leaving just enough space for the elevator and the staircase on the far left. Familiar blue eyes looked up from the computer screen, lighting up with recognition as we approached the desk. Tyler was hot on my tail, hovering behind me with a proximity that was enough to make the hairs on my nape stand stall with unease.

"Ashley?" The receptionist tucked a brown lock back into her tightly wound bun and smiled at me, her glossy red lips oozing with pity. "Where have you been this past year?"

My tummy churned with exasperation, worry and horror. Was she was going to blow my cover and reveal to Tyler that I was one of Dr Jillian's oldest clients? I plastered a smile onto my face, trying to keep my expression neutral even though I felt the urge to clamp her mouth shut using a hammer and nails.

"I've been busy," I replied in a curt voice, tensing when she glanced up at me, clearly startled by the edge in my voice.

Jackie's smile faltered and she moved the computer mouse, clicking a couple of times before returning her attention back to me.

"I don't have you down for an appointment today."

Flustered, I leaned forward.

"Well why on earth would I need an appointment?" I scoffed, stealing a glance over my shoulder at Tyler.

He seemed distracted by her soft features and easy smile. Good, I thought.

I mean, she wasn't much older than us - definitely younger than twenty-five since I remembered her rambling on about recently attaining a degree in Psychology a few years ago. And Tyler looked a few years older than most seniors so I guess it made sense that she was interested - very, very interested by the looks of it.

Ignoring the tight knot forming inside my belly, I held Jackie's gaze when she raised an eyebrow, confused by my ridiculous question, but thankfully she kept her mouth shut.

"It's for my..." I paused momentarily. "Friend."

Jackie picked up on my slight hesitation and her gaze slid to Tyler. Forgetting about my obvious lie, a switch was flipped within her and she drank in every aspect of his face; gawking over the curve of his nose, his windswept hair and the slant of his sharp cheekbones. Finally her eyes locked onto his, flirtatiously sparkling with a hidden message that made my stomach drop.

I didn't like the look in her eyes, at all.

"Name?" She purred, completely ignoring me as she gave Tyler her undivided attention.

"Tyler Miller," He replied, shockingly unaware by Jackie's sudden interest. I suppressed an eye roll when her smile widened.

When his voice wavered, I was jolted back into a reality where I wasn't on the verge of ripping Jackie's hair from her intricate bun. She took the low dip in his voice as an encouragement and let loose a small giggle. This time, I rolled my eyes and turned to my side so I could face Tyler. It took a great deal of effort to keep my impassive mask intact when his chest was pressed into my side. Nervousness radiated off him like a bad odour, sticking to every inch of his taut muscles that seemed to tense beneath his light coat.

"Hey," I whispered whilst Jackie's red fingernails flew across the keyboard. "Are you alright?"

Tyler gulped nervously, running both hands through his hair until they disappeared beneath a river of gold. With his hands clamping his scalp, he shot me a panicked expression.

"I don't think so," He admitted in a low voice, letting his hands fall to his side when Jackie looked up at us, sympathy pulling her lips into a soft smile.