Chapter 6: Friday

3 o'clock. Time to go home. It was a hot day, so everyone was glad the day was over. I created a thin layer of ice on the back of the straps on my backpack, so I was fine. My dorm building was a mile away, so it wouldn't take that long to get there. It was also near the shopping district and a newly built mall. It was also closer to the school, while the other 38 were farther away. Adam and walked quietly until the school was out of sight. He broke the silence by bursting out, "Why don't you talk about your past?" I stopped walking and closed my eyes. "It's a topic I don't like to talk about. Besides, it isn't important." "What about your family? Relatives? Why do you shut people out? And of course it's important!" I opened my eyes and faces him, quite annoyed. "I don't want to talk about it."

         I started walking again, and he grabbed my wrist and whirled me around. I looked at the ground, frustration building up. My eyes turned brownish-gold; the color of nervousness. Adam asked slowly and cautiously,"Lucy, are you a Twine?" I whipped my head up and gave him a cold stare, not wanting to go down that road. "I can see it in your eyes. Fear. Pain. Emptiness. Sadness. But most of all, loneliness. It's okay Lucy. You can trust me." I opened my mouth then hesitated. I decided I would tell him when we got to my place. "Do you like happy or sad stories?" "What?" I'd caught him completely off guard, giving him an answer he totally didn't expect. He gave me a sympathetic glance and answered, "Depends who's telling it. And even if there is a sad story, there will always be a happy ending."

          I was astonished by his answer. He seemed to know that I would tell him once we got there, because he stayed silent the rest of the way there. We entered and I asked him if he wanted tea or water. He humbly accepted my tea. We sat down on my brown couch and after sipping my tea, I took a deep breath; I began to tell him my story.