Resurecting Gaia - Part 1

Kane allowed his sight to blur gently as the scattered rocks and trees whizzed past his window. To his left, Bellamy determinedly switched gears, his eyes scanning across landscape haphazardly with each bump in the road. Every slight sound or movement from behind putting him further on edge as Abby and Clarke attended to his unconscious sister.
Kane adjusted his seat slightly, the tension of the past five hours painfully taking its toll on his expression. 

"She's going to be ok" Kane muttered in an attempt to calm Bellamys nervous disposition, looking over his shoulder at those that they both held dear in the back.
Clarke lay with her head resting against Abbys shoulder, her fingers intertwined with Octavias as her eyes fluttered between shut and semi open.
Bellamy's expression twisted slightly as he forced himself to focus his eyes forward.
"Whatever this is, it won't take her. I won't let it" Bellamy replied in a shuddering breath.

"Beccas bunker has everything we need. Clarke and Abby won't let anything happen to her" Kane added in reassurance as he watched Bellamy nervously glance over his shoulder at Octavia and Clarke for the 50th time.
Bellamy swallowed, running his hand through his ebony hair in angst.
"But it doesn't have the solution to our survival does it...."

Kane gazed out of the window, the density of the trees declining as they approached the wastelands. He sighed.
"No. It doesn't............ but Octavia is strong, she will realise the gravity of the situation and help us implement a solution"

Bellamy's brow furrowed as his expression turned dark.
How could Kane be so calm and rational when so much is at stake? Their entire race lay on the brink of extinction, their leader in a coma, with prisoners threatening to destroy everything they had fought so hard for.
Suddenly something inside of him snapped.

"And then what?! Pair everyone up and it'll be happy families all round? Octavia, Indra, Raven..........Clarke......."
Bellamy hissed, his hands gripping the wheel in anger as he continued.
"What are we gonna do, force them into cozying up with someone until they get impregnated?!"

Kane glanced over his shoulder a moment before allowing his gaze to meet Bellamys, he spoke quietly in an attempt to escape the earshot of their passengers.
"You think this is what I want? Abby is still of childbearing age."
Kane rubbed his temple.
"Besides, it doesn't have to be done in the traditional sense. We have the technology to enable women to achieve pregnancy without even looking at the future father. As long as we keep a certain level of genetic diversity intact, it's actually quite straight forward"

Bellamy raised a brow, respecting Kane's wishes to keep their conversation private, he continued with a lowered voice.
"Straight forward? How do they decide who to pair with? You're talking about artificially inseminating hundreds of women. I wouldn't say straight forward is an accurate assumption"

Kane gazed into the distance grimly, his eyes no longer focused on anything in particular.
"Bellamy........they wouldn't have to choose if they didn't want to. People grow up all the time without knowing who their real fathers are, it doesn't make them any less of a person."
Kane replied, sympathy lacing his words a moment.
Bellamy swallowed, his expression softening in defeat as Kanes words struck a personal note.

A voice broke from behind him, throwing him from his thoughts.

"It wouldn't have to be a choice if people didn't want it to be. We could allow everyone to choose and give them a deadline. After the deadline, anyone remaining would have an anonymous donor."  Clarke added, now leaning forward to join their discussion.

Kane's expression twisted in knowing that their conversation hadn't been as private as he'd hoped.

"Clarke, don't tell me you agree with this?"
Bellamys eyes widened as he locked them with hers a moment, his stare a mixture of shock and confusion.

Clarke lowered her head as she rested her arms on her knees in acceptance.
"I didn't like it at first, but...... "
She sighed heavily, glancing at Octavias lifeless form beside her before continuing.
"Kane is right, unless we do this, there won't be enough people left to ensure our survival. There could be a genetic bottleneck, or a disease outbreak that wipes us out. I've searched for survivors for 6 years.......we are all that remains of the human race"

Clarke and Kane's words repeated for a while in Bellamys mind as he tried to make sense of the situation. He couldn't deny their logic, it made sense. If they didn't do this, they could face being wiped out forever. Something just didn't sit right with him, everything about this felt wrong and he hated being forced to deal with it.

--------------

"Help me lift her onto the table" Abby called as she grabbed devices and a syringe from a nearby bench determinedly.
Clarke watched as Bellamy and Kane lifted Octavia onto the table in Beccas bunker, her heart raced against her chest in anticipation of what they might find.  Octavia remained lifeless, her chest slowly rising and falling as she lay deadly still.

Abby set about connecting various medical devices and an IV before moving to a nearby screen to observe her vitals. The following moments felt like hours to both Bellamy and Clarke, their hearts practically sitting in their throats as they nervously awaited Abby's diagnosis.
Abby raised a brow as she stared at the screen ahead of her.

"The good news is, its not what I feared. Her brain doesn't have any signs of damage from a possible trauma. Everything seems normal, although....... her temperature is still high, and her hypothalamus has some exaggerated activity" Abby paused as she observed the concern on the groups faces.
"But that could be down to any number of things"

Clarke moved from a nearby chair that she rested in to stand beside Octavia, looking down on her for a moment.
"If it's not a trauma, what could be causing the blackouts?" Clarke asked, glancing at Abby, desperately needing a conclusion.

Abby looked to Bellamy a moment, the concern equally mimicked in his stance.
"I'm almost certain it's a virus. The good news is, I definitely don't think it's life threatening"

Bellamys felt his shoulders practically fall to the floor in relief.

"I need to run some bloods, and further tests to get to the bottom of it, but it could take hours, even days" Abby continued, her eyes still firmly locked onto the scanner.

"Ok, what can I do to help?" Clarke asked, walking toward her.

Abby looked to Octavia, before back at Clarke.
"There's nothing we can do right now. Until we find out what we are dealing with, we can't act.  We just have to wait until we have the results."

Kane moved himself to stand beside Abby, resting his hand on her shoulder.
"We've got this. Why don't you gather supplies and get some rest. We will let you know if anything changes"

Clarke nodded, gazing out over the bunker. Memories of her time here suddenly flooding back into the forefront of her mind. The time she had spent here had been volatile to say the least. Standing amongst the lab machinery, with no purpose, awaiting the return of a loved one.
She picked up a radio, turning on her heel to head for her old quarters. Her body trembled as her memories recreated the pain of her radiation sickness. The hair on the back of her neck standing up on its ends as she remembered the crippling loneliness that she endured.

"I'm going to take a shower" Clarke called over her shoulder, exiting the lab. Attempting to leave the raw memories along with it.