The Handmaiden of Nemesis - Part 2

"A hog roast? Who's kill was it?!" Jonah exclaimed, filling his plate eagerly from the pile of roasted pork sitting on the side.
"Asgeada have always been the best hunters, that hog didn't stand a chance!" Bellamy smiled at Jonah, watching him chew frantically on his new favourite food, his enthusiasm never ceased to amaze him.
"How long will they be staying?" Jonah asked,  just managing to get the words out through his half chewed food. "I'm sure they arnt going anywhere, we've got everything we need, right here" Bellamy replied.
He smiled to himself slightly, before turning to look out over the celebrating survivors.
The camp was bustling, a large campfire crackled gently in the distance next to the closest lake.  It was about 10pm, but being the height of summer, the sun was only just setting.

"Bellamy!" Murphy suddenly skidded to a halt next to him.
"Drink this!" he exclaimed, shoving a cup into Bellamy's hands.
Bellamy chuckled, grabbing the cup of moonshine. "Where is everyone?" Bellamy asked, scanning the camp.
"Follow me...... bring that bottle!" Murphy shouted over his shoulder, whist heading for the campfire.

Murphy jumped down next to Amori, grabbing her and pulling her into a playful kiss, before handing her a cup of moonshine.
Clarke lay on a hide, leaning on her arm, watching the campfire. Maddie was sprawled across her waist, listening intently to Raven, her head propped on her hands.

"And that's when I knew........ I just knew, that if I went on that spacewalk, it would be the last spacewalk I would ever take!" Raven exclaimed, her hands flailing, portraying her story energetically for Maddie.
As he approached, Bellamy watched as Clarke listened carefully to Ravens tale, although not as enthusiastically as Maddie. She looked slightly distant, her eyes wandering distractedly.

"Bellamy!" Maddie shouted, completely stopping Raven mid sentence.
"Come...... sit with us!" She held her hand out, signalling for him to sit in the spot next to Clarke.
Bellamy grinned at Maddie, placing the bottle down next to the food as he sat on the large hide next to the both of them, exchanging a quick glance with Clarke, before filling his cup.
"Anyway, THEN what happened?" Maddie exclaimed, staring at Raven expectedly.

Bellamy found himself watching the campfire, his eyes blurring gently, focusing on different parts of the flames. He leant back slightly,  listening to Raven, before discreetly glancing at Clarke. Her face was still distant.
"Here....... you look like you could use this more than me" Bellamy said quietly, handing her his cup.
Clarke grinned slightly, leaning back a little to be closer to Bellamy.
"Is it that obvious?" Clarke whispered jokily, before looking down into the cup.
"Probably not to everyone else, but....." he raised his eyebrow at Clarke cockily. "I know that face too well"
Clarke smiled at Bellamy, before taking a drink from the cup.
"And that's why we shouldn't believe everything we hear.... everything we see"
Raven exclaimed to an enthralled Maddie, poking a stick at the fire.

Bellamy leant forward, his eyes alight, grinning at Maddie.
"That's true, have you heard of Odysseus and the Trojan Horse?"
Maddie sat bolt upright, turning and facing Bellamy, eyes wide.
"No? What's a Trojan Horse?" She asked excitedly.
"Ah..... well. It's a story my mother used to read to me and my sister when we were little......"

Clarke watched as Bellamy recited the tale, his expression changing dramatically with every paragraph, his voice changing hilariously as he portrayed the words of every character. She couldn't stop watching him, her eyes fixated.

Suddenly his eyes caught hers. Realising that she must have been staring, Clarke quickly looked over at the group, slightly embarrassed. Maddie had fallen asleep, curled up in an almost catlike fashion, Raven now laying next to her.
"Well, I didn't expect it to have that effect" Bellamy laughed quietly, before pouring himself another drink.
Clarke looked down at Maddie, smiling slightly.
"I should get her to bed" Clarke whispered, standing, putting her cup down on the hide.
Bellamy followed suit.
"Don't wake her.........hang on" he said, before bending down and scooping her up in his arms.
Clarke and Maddies huts were side by side almost directly behind the fire.
Bellamy placed her down into her bed, Clarke grabbed her blanket and pulled it up and over her. They both stood there a moment, watching her sleep quietly.
Clarke broke the silence, her voice breaking slightly.
"She's so innocent......I've done everything I can to keep her safe....... I'm so afraid......." Bellamy stared at Clarke, she reminded her of him, of how he felt about Octavia. He knew her pain all too well.
"She's here. She's alive. She's smart. You've done good" Bellamy whispered in reassurance, before looking down at Maddie.
"For how long?" Clarke replied "Our defences arnt anywhere near strong enough" Clarke's face suddenly saddened.