The Handmaiden of Nemesis - Part 4

"Mum! What's going on?" Clarke called as she rushed into the camp, the line of guards obstructing her view of the entrance.
The gun fire was intermittent. Abby stood with her back to one of the huts, poised.
"8 of our women have been kidnapped. They took them while they were sleeping"
Clarke's face drained of blood, her expression darkening. Her stomach turned.
"We need to go after them!" She growled, loading her weapon, marching forward angrily.
Abby reached out, suddenly grabbing her arm, dragging her back into the shelter of the hut.
"Right now, we don't know how many of them are out there. We need to protect the camp" Abby spoke harshly, her tone desperate, pleading with her headstrong daughter.
Clarke's expression hardened.
"That's exactly what I'm going to do mum"
Suddenly Clarke ripped her arm free, and darted towards the line of guards.
"Clarke!!" Abby cried, as she watched Clarke running determinedly towards the gunfire.
Bellamy's eyes widened in fear, he grabbed his weapon and darted after her, nodding at Abby reassuringly as he went.

Clarke had stopped just behind the line of guards, their gunfire echoing through the valley, the ricochet of the bullets screeching through the metalwork of the gates.
Suddenly to her left a guard jolted backwards, a bullet violently plummeting into his chest. He fell to the ground beside Clarke with a thud. Clarke's brow furrowed, her expression fuelled by panic and anger. She looked around her, first left, then right, before rushing towards a hut.
Bellamy screeched to a halt, skidding in the dirt beside the guard, checking his pulse. Feeling that there was no life, he jerked his head up, looking for Clarke.
She was climbing up a ladder on one of the huts.
What the hell is she doing?!! She's going to get killed!

Bullets flew all around them as Bellamy rushed along the ground, keeping as low as he could.
"Clarke! Stop!" He shouted as he found cover behind an oil barrel.
She wasn't listening.
He clambered up the ladder, before tumbling onto the roof beside her. She had shielded herself in a dip creating cover as bullets flew past their heads, her rifle propped up on an angle, aiming down at the enemy.
"What the hell are you doing!? You're going to get yourself killed up here!" Bellamy panted in concern , before ducking down and placing his rifle next to Clarke's.
"There's 15 of them that I can see, dotted along the tree line. Their camouflage is too good for our guards, we need to take them out" Clarke replied.
Bellamy nodded in understanding, before lowering his eye to the scope of his rifle.
"2 snipers, one to the east, one to the west" Bellamy whispered.

Suddenly a loud pop coursed through his right ear, the sniper in the east flew backwards, a bullet piercing his heart with impeccable precision.
Bellamy jolted backward from his scope in shock, before tuning to look at Clarke.
She ducked down into the makeshift trench, releasing the firing pin and reloading her rifle as fast as she could, regaining her breath.
Bellamy stared at Clarke a moment, taken aback. He repositioned his rifle, looking down the scope once more.
"Another sniper, to the north" Clarke whispered.
"I got it" Bellamy said, taking aim and firing. Clarke watched as he landed the shot in the snipers chest.

"Argh. Where is he?" Clarke hissed, squinting  down her scope. "He was right there!"
Bellamy trailed his scope over the terrain desperately, hunting for the third sniper.
"There! He's moved...........south west, in the tree by the river." Bellamy whispered
"He's spotted us.......... SHIT!  I'm out of ammo!" Bellamy cried as he watched the sniper take aim on their position, his heart raced against his chest, he lowered himself as much as he could, hoping the bullets couldn't reach their position.

Suddenly Clarke's rifle fired, Bellamy watched as the bullet ripped straight through the snipers temple, causing him to tumble from his perch and crash into the white waters below.
Bellamy drew his eye away from his scope, taken aback again by Clarke's impeccable aim. She reloaded, moving her sights onto the prisoners marching forward towards the gates, firing intermittently. Her face was like steel, determined. She didn't flinch or falter. One by one she picked off the prisoners. Each time reloading and aiming again within moments.
Bellamy continued to watch her, mesmerised slightly.

"Shit, I'm out" Clarke hissed, crashing herself onto her back, flinging her rifle to the side.
"How many?" Bellamy asked, ducking down beside her.
"5, maybe 6" Clarke replied.
"We're pinned down. They know we're here" Bellamy whispered, scanning over the edge.
"Ok. I've got an idea. Whatever you do, stay here and don't move" Bellamy continued, locking eyes with Clarke's.
"What are you gonna do?" She whispered, her brow furrowing in concern.
"There is ammo, over there, by the Rover. When I get to it, I'll throw it up to you. You seem to have no problem in picking them off by yourself" he replied, smiling slightly as he crawled towards the edge.
"Ok" Clarke replied as Bellamy scrambled down the ladder, watching nervously.

Bellamy dashed along the ground, dodging the flying bullets. He darted between a mixture of oildrums and wood piles, finding cover where he could. As he skidded across the final stretch, he scooped up the ammo, throwing it over his shoulder and made a beeline back towards the central woodpile.
Suddenly two guards crashed to the ground beside him. The gunfire intensified as the semi automatic rifles cracked away persistently either side of him.
Clarke watched as panic struck his face, he was trapped, the suppressing fire either side of him was too strong.
The guards fell one by one as the prisoners edged closer to the camp, and soon there were only prisoners left. The survivors began to flee, some grabbing weapons, others hiding in huts.
Clarke's heart wrenched in her chest, feeling her stomach turn in knots, she couldn't let any more people die...........and she wouldn't watch Bellamy die.  She had to do something.
Suddenly she grabbed Bellamy's rifle and rose to her feet atop of the hut.
"Stop! Right there!!" She shouted as loud as she could. The prisoners turned, aiming their weapons at her position.

The blood drained from Bellamy's face as he watched the prisoners head towards Clarke, firing angrily as she darted back into cover.
He ran at full speed in the moments he had free from the crossfire, using all of his strength, he drew his arm back, flung the ammo onto the roof and skidded into cover behind a large metal trunk.

Suddenly Indra rushed into the commotion, wielding her sword, slicing open two of the prisoners, before turning at lighting speed and thrusting it through the chest of another. Bellamy watched as a further prisoner flew backward as a bullet pierced his chest, and as Indra grabbed his weapon and shot him in the head.
The final two prisoners turned and aimed for Indra, she quickly ducked, and as she did so, throwing her sword straight into the leg of one, before closing her eyes in acceptance of her fate from the other. Amazingly in the last moments, the final prisoner was picked off by Clarke's impeccable aim, falling to the ground with a heavy thud.

The last surviving prisoner lay on the floor, pinned  by the sword, his gun too far away for him to reach.
Indra stood slowly, her eyes locked on the prisoner like a lion descending upon its prey. She drew her knife from its holster, and held it above her head, ready to strike it through his dark heart.

"Stop!" Bellamy called, rushing to the scene, grabbing her by both arms. Indra ripped her eyes away from her kill, staring at Bellamy in a moment of anger.
"Indra, we need him" Bellamy pleaded. "We can find out where they have taken the others"
Indra lowered her arms, before kicking the prisoner in the head, knocking him out cold.
"Take him, lock him up!" She called, as warriors ran to her position in assistance.

Bellamy turned, looking up at the roof for Clarke.
He couldn't see her.
"Clarke?! He called, rushing up the ladder, fear coursing through his body.