Icarus - Part 1

The cold metal cut into his wrists, his body hung from the ceiling, his weight bearing down on the chains that were obstructing his movement, his escape.
Darius quickly glanced around, twisting his head as far as it would go to try and get a glimpse of his surroundings. His head pounded, his eyes burnt. Where was she?

To his right was another cell where Clarke was suffering the same fate. Her body hung loose, arms above her head, her dry obsidian blood staining her white skin, her blonde hair enshrouding her features in the little light that was available. Her head hung forward, lifeless.

"Clarke" Darius whispered across the cold, metal hall.
"Clarke, wake up!" He repeated, anxiety in his voice.
There was complete silence, with the exception of drops of condensation hitting the metal floor.
Darius looked above at his hands. He had no way of escape. The chains were 2 inches thick, and his cuffs were so tight he was surprised he could feel his hands at all. He had to do something.
"Darius?" A low voice in the shadows behind him drew his gaze away from his entrapment.
"Max?" Darius tried to adjust his position to get a better view, failing miserably.
"Yeah, my head is killing me!" Max growled. "You ok?"

Darius raised an eyebrow, trying to turn in sarcasm in a moment of amnesia. The chains crashed back against his wrists like anvils.
"Arghhh........ yeah, I'm ok. Can't get out of these damn cuffs. Clarke is out cold though, I've tried waking her, but...."

Max turned to get a better view, he was chained to the wall, so had the ability to move a little easier, in comparison.
"How long has she been like that?" He asked, the apprehension smothering his words.
"Since I woke up, about 2 minuets ago, not sure how long before that" Darius responded, before lifting himself up in a pull up like fashion, his hands grasping at the top of the chain.
He shook himself violently, desperately trying to break the join lose. Before looking back at Clarke, his face showing his concern.

"Clarke! Wake up!" Max shouted, after weighing up the pros and cons of drawing attention to their waking.
Her head began to lift.
"Clarke, are you alright?" Darius asked anxiously.

Clarke felt like her brain had been thrown into a cement mixer. Her vision was blurred, eyelashes clogged together from the blood. A metallic taste in her mouth, bitter and old. She tried to rub her face, before realising her arms were tied.
"Argh!" She shouted impatiently, tugging on her chains, before slowly relaxing into her fate.
"I'm ok" she sighed, squinting her eyes from her headache.
"Are you injured, what's happened?" She asked quietly.

Darius released his grip on the ceiling, dropping himself down, still supporting some of his weight by holding the suspending chain.
"I'm good, were both ok. Looks like we're on the ship. I've not seen anyone however"
Clarke looked around. Her cell wasn't large, maybe 10ft by 10ft. Iron bars marked the perimeter, with a small door to the front of her.
"We need to speak to him. We can't stay here like this" Clarke insisted.
Max was calmly working on his cuffs in the corner - naturally a logical thinker, and had taught his son the same. He had a solution for most predicaments.
"HEEY!" Clarke began shouting at the top of her lungs, trying to draw attention to themselves.
"I demand to speak with someone!!!" She shouted again. Before swinging her body violently, kicking the bars infront of her.
Darius watched - slightly amused with her anger. He had mostly seen Clarke at her best, calm, rational, collected.

A loud crash of an iron door came from the end of the hallway, followed by slow and heavy footsteps that drew near.
"What the hell do you want? What's all the racket about darlin. It's not your time yet" one of the large guards mocked.
"I need to speak to whoever is in charge. We have something that will help you" Clarke retorted calmly.
The prisoner drew closer to her cell, resting a hand on one of the bars, the other on his belt. "What makes you think we don't have all that we need right here darlin?" He replied gruffly, eyebrow raised.
"You need what we have, trust me. Please get your leader so I can talk to him." Clarke asked, as politely as she could given the circumstances.
The guard straightened his stance. Considering her plea for a moment.
"He's down the hall, I'll bring him to you. You owe me though, sweetie, don't forget that!"
Clarke nodded, acknowledging his proposal, before asking a final question. "Does he have a name?"
"Ciro" the guard responded, before heading off to bring Clarke closer to her fate.

It was an hour before they heard a new pair of footsteps heading down the hall. Heavier, slower than those that they had just encountered.
Ciro moved through the metal clad hallway in the low light, Clarke could only barely make out his gigantic form. All of the prisoners, bar a few were very well built, almost unnaturally so. Ciro was no exception.
"Ya wanted to see me missy?" He said gruffly.

"Can we negotiate a truce? We are peaceful, we don't want to fight. All we want is to work together" Clarke pleaded.
Ciro smiled, even though it looked almost demonic in its composition, Clarke could see it was close to genuine.
"Ya came here, armed to the teeth. Who's ta say yer wernt tryna kill us?" Ciro prodded. "Why say ya wanna make friends with us, but ya prepared for a fight?"
Clarke tried to stay calm and collected.
"I just wanted to be safe, we all did. We had no idea who you were, why you are here, we had no intention of harming you unless threatened"
Ciro looked at Clarke quizzically. "You should ha come alone, not brought yer warriors - I can't trust ye as far as I can spit ye. Ye just a dirty little dilute earthen"

Clarke looked troubled. This was deteriorating quickly.
Ciro walked away from Clarke's cell, heading towards Darius. Opening his door, and moving swiftly towards him.
"Ye can't call him a warrior - look at him. Years of bad breeding. He can't fight us?" Clarke watched in horror as Ciro punched Darius in the chest, causing him to swing back violently.
"Ya see? Weak!" He proclaimed, laughing.
"STOP!" Clarke shouted desperately "Please don't hurt them" she pleaded.
Taking note of Clarke's pleas, Ciro moved to the back of the cell where Max stood, head hung low. "What about this one eh? He looks just as bad, almost sickly!" Ciro laughed, prodding Max in the shoulder. "Ya see missy? If you can't fight us, ya definitely cant help us!"

Suddenly, Max threw his cuffed hands up and over Ciros head, drawing him into a choke hold. Ciro struggled with all his strength, but Max had managed to get his chain free from the wall and was using its weight instead of his own. Ciro was right, there was no way he could fight him. However, Max was smart, using that to his advantage. Ciro threw his head back, crashing violently into Max's skull. Max felt a ripple of crushing pain course through his body.
Just a little longer. He begged himself. Hold on.
Ciro thrashed, kicked, grunted, but Max didn't let go.

Finally Ciros body went limp, passing out, falling to the ground with a heavy thud.
He moved quickly, extracting the keys from Ciros belt, before running over to Darius and releasing his cuffs.
"Chain him up!" He shouted at Darius frantically, before heading out of the cell and into Clarke's.
"What's wrong, why isn't it working" Clarke asked anxiously.
"The key is jammed, I can't get you loose!" Max looked up at Clarke with horror in his eyes.
Darius had now joined Max in the struggle to release Clarke. Max working on the cuffs, Darius working on the chain in the ceiling.
He wasn't getting anywhere.
He looked around, before running and picking up a loose iron bar from the hall.
"Hold her wrists!" Darius told Max, as he positioned the bar right beside where the chain hooked into the ceiling. "This is going to hurt Clarke.........." Darius said in preparation.
"Just do it!" Clarke cried, staring over at Ciro chained up in a similar fashion, still unconscious.
With one almighty swing, Darius struck the join. Clarke let out an agonising scream, the shock running through her wrists, down her arms and into her spine as she piled onto the floor.

"We need to find the bridge, we will never get off this ship alive!" Clarke said hurriedly to Max and Darius as she gathered her chains, before rushing over to take Ciros handgun from his belt.
"Let's go!"