Breeding Paideia - Part 2

The prisoners skin was drained and pale, his barren eyes stared back at Clarke as she looked over his stiff torso from above. With a sigh, she crouched down beside him before tracing her trembling fingers across his eyes to close them for the final time. She regarded his face in detail, his strong features, the outline of his jaw, the birth mark on the side of his cheek.
Her stomach turned to knots, a growing sense of regret, fear and impending doom began to wash over her.
She couldn't take her eyes from him, she had been looking at him for so long that his form was beginning to change. His face was blurring gently, his features softening, his skin ageing as if decaying in front of her very eyes.
In a split second, the face she was looking upon was no longer his, but that belonging to her mother. Suddenly her bloodshot eyes ripped open, staring at Clarke in horror before she crumbled to ashes in her arms.

Clarke jerked backward at the abrupt end to her daydream, halting suddenly in the forest. She swallowed hard as her eyes began to refocus on the woodland around her, the partition between the dream world and reality finally strengthening. She had been walking for hours, leaving shortly after her encounter with Bellamy.
How could she sleep, how could she rest after all that had happened? After so many of their people had been taken.

Suddenly a crash in the distance ripped Clarke from her thoughts. She threw herself to the ground instinctively and aimed down the sights of her rifle for a better look at the commotion ahead.
She could see the feint outline of a woman, although she couldn't make out any defining features. She could just about see her brown hair lightly glistening under the rising sun.
A gunshot coursed through the woodland, the echo bouncing through the trees as Clarke ducked, trying to remain hidden. The figure in front of her darted to her right, drew a weapon and fired into the dim light.
Clarke narrowed her eyes in disbelief. It couldn't be?!

"Octavia?!" Clarke hissed from her cover at the figure in front of her.
Octavia spun on the spot, her eyes trying to make sense of the voice behind her.
"Clarke?!" Octavia whispered, her eyes still scanning the vaguely lit landscape.
Octavia dashed over to Clarke, wrapping her arms around her tightly.
A wash of relief and happiness rushed over Clarke for a moment, her fingers gripping onto Octavias jacket tightly as she savoured the moment.
"How did you?....." Clarke asked in a shuddering breath.
Octavias eyes widened, before turning distant, she paused.

"They would have had to kill me to make me stay a second longer" Octavia replied finally, holstering her gun.
"We need to leave, now!" She blurted, before grabbing Clarkes arm, pulling her from their cover and dragging her towards the camp.

"Stop!" A voice bellowed from behind.
Octavia and Clarke stood completely still, passing each other a glance momentarily.
A second prisoner sided up to the first, before being followed by another.
"Drop your weapons" the first prisoner grunted, moving slowly toward them, his rifle aimed unapologetically at their backs.
Reluctantly, Clarke raised her rifle out to her side, before dropping it with a thud onto the moss covered floor. Octavia, passing Clarke a vexed glance, finally following suit.

The tallest prisoner smiled, exposing his metal covered teeth as he moved over towards the rifle, bending slowly to take it into his possession.
Suddenly Clarke booted the man in the head, shooting Octavia a glance as she crashed to the floor behind a tree. Octavia heard her loud and clear, pulling a knife from her belt and launching it squarely into one of the prisoners chests, causing him to fall backward into a nearby bush.
The remaining prisoner scowled hesitantly with his gun, shaking slightly as he aimed it at Octavias head. In a split second, Clarke was by his side, her rifle pointing directly at the temple of the lone trembling man.

"I know you don't want to shoot us" Clarke growled, her face stern as she locked eyes with his.
The prisoner was like an open book, the sweat dripping from his forehead, the vein pulsating on the side of his neck.
"You don't want to kill us, as you can't populate the earth without us" Clarke continued, her eyes narrowing in her conviction.
The prisoners eyes darted to Clarkes for a moment, before focusing back onto Octavia.

"I can't let her leave. Ye don't understand....."
He whimpered, his expression taut with concern.
Suddenly a branch broke from behind, causing the prisoner to flinch, his eyes breaking from Octavia. In the split second they had spare, Clarke fired her rifle, sending a bullet straight through the prisoners neck. As she did so, another man burst into the clearing, only to meet the same fate as the other. His body tumbled to the ground with a thud.

Clarke lowered her gun slowly as she regained her breath, before glancing to Octavia.
"Clarke...." Octavia groaned quietly as she swayed on the spot, her eyes rolling into the back of her head before suddenly falling backward to the ground. 
Clarke's eyes widened in fear as she rushed to her side.
Octavia lay lifeless on the floor, her pulse racing, her skin unbearably pale.
"Octavia? Wake up. What's wrong?" Clarke panted, checking her for any visable wounds.
She was breathing, her temperature was high, but nothing life threatening that she could see from the surface.
Clarke scanned the forrest in concern, before looking back down at Octavias limp form.
Bending down, she grabbed Octavias arm and hoisted it over her shoulder.

"Stay with me Octavia, please" Clarke begged as she dragged her limp body down the hill towards the gates. She had been walking for hours. Clarke stopped a moment, regaining her breath as she adjusted Octavias weight on her back. The gates were so close, and yet Clarke just couldn't walk any further.
She collapsed to the ground beneath Octavias weight, crawling towards the gates with all of her strength.

"Clarke?!"
It was Kane.
"Holy shit. CLARKES HERE! Abby!" Kane cried over his shoulder, as he ran towards the collapsed pair in the distance.
Kane slowed as he approached, his eyes focusing on the figure weighing Clarke down.
"OCTAVIA?!" Kane cried, quickly rushing to assist.
"What happened?!" Kane asked, his jaw tense in concern.
Clarkes face creased in fear.
"She collapsed.........I don't know what's wrong, I've checked her for wounds... I can't find anything" Clarke whimpered, stumbling behind Kane and Octavia as they headed toward the gates.
A group of people appeared in the distance, Abby and Bellamy amongst them.

Clarke locked eyes with Bellamy. He stood still for a moment, eyes locked onto Octavias lifeless form in Kane's arms. His whole stance became rigid, his mind temporarily going into a state of shock.
He rushed to their side, the blood draining from his face.
"Octavia?!! How did you..... what happened?!" Bellamy panicked, grabbing her hand, his eyes welling.
Kane placed Octavia on the ground, Abby quickly checking her vitals.
Clarke remained stood a few paces away, swaying slightly.
"I don't know what's wrong with her, I tried to help, I......" Clarke sobbed, her head hung in a mixture of panic and defeat.

Abby looked up at Clarke, her gaze meeting hers a moment, sharing her concern.
"Shes ok. But she's unconscious and has a fever, we need to get her inside" Abby called out, looking to Kane for assistance.
Bellamy stood back, allowing the group to attend to his sister. His thoughts wild with emotion. He watched as they carried her into camp a moment, before turning to look at Clarke.

He didn't say anything. He just stared, his face completely unreadable.
Clarke didn't know what to say. She was too drained, too tired to even attempt conversation right now, let alone conversation with Bellamy.

Why is he just staring?

His eyes flickered a moment, his jaw tensed as his gaze remained fixated on her.
Clarke closed her eyes, the strain of her emotions bearing down on her in one full swoop, the darkness somehow comforting her.
She needed to say something, anything. She couldn't bare the silence any longer.

"Bellamy..... I......."
Clarke opened her eyes, the words escaping her.

He was gone.