161. Runner's Daughter// Thomas

"Come on, Dad. Minho does it and he even thinks I should do it. I'm 17. Why won't you let me?" I argue to my dad. He won't let me be a runner.

"Because it's dangerous and I don't want you getting hurt. It's the most dangerous thing you could do and I can't risk losing you like I did you mom." He shouted at me. He never told me how my mom died. I guess I just found out.

His face softened once he found out what he had just said. Before he could say anything else, I ran back to my room in tears.

Thomas' POV

"Lighten up, Tommy. I think it would be a good idea for her to go. Minho will always be with her to keep her safe. I mean, she's almost 18 and she needs to learn to do stuff on her own, make her own decisions. Give her some runners gear and just let her have at it. In the morning, she can go with Minho and I guarantee she will be back before you even come back from your route." Newt explained to me, and I guess I could second guess it.

"Okay. I just don't want to lose her like I lost Rose." I told my best friend.

"You won't. It'll be okay. And she'll love you for it too. You know Rose would want this for her and yourself." Newt added as he walked away toward the Homestead.

I walk to the map room and open one of the trunks.

"So, you gonna let her go?" I hear Minho behind me.

"Yep. She's going. I haven't told her yet. I'm going to in a few minutes." I answer. "But, if anything happens to her, I swear you will be staying in the maze overnight." I threatened Minho.

I picked out the right gear for (Y/N) and walked towards her room. I heard another voice in there, Teresa.

"I just don't understand. Why wouldn't he tell me?" (Y/N) asked Teresa.

"I guess he just didn't want to scare you. He only wants the best for you. Everyone here loves you, especially him, and he just can't let you get hurt like your mother." Teresa admitted as I listened in around the corner. It was all true.

I walked in quietly around the corner as Teresa's head turned towards me with a sweet smile. (Y/N) just turned around, facing away from me. Teresa stood up and walked out of the room with an understanding expression.

"(Y/N)," I start, walking towards her bed. "I'm sorry. I wanted to tell you. But, it's true. I didn't want to scare you. It was all an accident when it happened and I hate myself for letting it happen. I loved your mother and if I could bring her back, I would. She would've loved you so much." I told my daughter as I saw tears begin to slide down her cheeks.

"But, I have a surprise for you." I told her as she turns towards me.

I bring the gear up onto her bed and she looks at it with a confused look. Once she realized what it was, her face lightened up and she wrapped her arms around me.

"Thank you so much, dad! I can't wait!" (Y/N) exclaimed as I wrapped my arms around her.

"Your welcome. I already threatened Minho so that's taken care of and you start in the morning, so get some sleep." I kissed her forehead as she lays down to sleep. I set her gear on the chair on the other side of the room as she falls asleep. I walk out to my room, walking past Minho, Teresa and Newt.

"You did the right thing." Teresa mentioned with a smile.

"She'll do great out there." Minho assured me.

Newt just patted my shoulder in comfort as everyone went their separate ways.

← Morning →

I just watched (Y/N) off as she ran down Minho's route. Saying goodbye to Newt, I start down my route.

I almost couldn't concentrate because I was worrying so much about (Y/N). I didn't want what happened to Rose to happen to her. I can't lose them both.

Through the day, I kept hearing screams in my head. I always thought they were real, but I knew it was all in my head.

It was getting pretty dark as I checked my watch. 6:15. I had to be getting back and Minho and (Y/N) should already be back. I ran back through my route and found my way back. Running through the doors, I see Newt, Teresa, Chuck, Gally and Jeff waiting. Newt kinda looked nervous, he was biting at his nail. He's never like that and it just made me more worried.

"Hey, Newt. Is (Y/N)in her room?" I asked, beginning to walk in that direction, thinking she should already be back.

"Tommy, I'm sorry. Neither Minho or (Y/N) have come back yet. And they have 5 minutes." I almost turned and ran back out when Newt pulled me back.

"You can't go back out, Tommy. It's too late to be out there." Newt confessed.

"Newt, I have to. She's my daughter. I can't let anything happen to her." I told him. I turned back towards the door and just as I was about to run back out, I see Minho, but no (Y/N). Until I see something on his shoulder.

The doors started to close as I ran out, taking my daughter in my arms and running back in, Minho right behind me. I set (Y/N) down as I looked up at Minho. He eyes were closed and she wasn't breathing right.

"What happened to my daughter?" I yell at Minho, staring down at (Y/N) and seeing that she got stung on her stomach.

"I'm so sorry, Thomas. I didn't mean for it to happen. I don't even know how it happened. A griever just showed up and she didn't see it. I didn't see it until it was too late." Minho explained, but I didn't care. (Y/N) was hurt and that was the last thing I wanted.

Jeff came up next to me, pulling out the grief serum and putting it in (Y/N)'s arm.

With no other words to anyone else, I picked (Y/N) back up and carried her to her room. I set her on her bed, covering her in her blanket. I stayed in her room with her so I could make sure nothing was going to happen. Jeff came in to check everything out. (Y/N) was going to be okay, her breathing was back to normal.

But, one thing was for sure, I was never letting her out of the Glade ever again.

* * *