"No problem," he responded, holding on for a moment longer than necessary before letting her body retreat from his. "Is everything cool? I know we didn't get to talk much on the phone the other day."

Peter had called a few days prior to his arrival, affirming that he was still coming, but Trystan had kept the conversation short. There had been something in her voice that he could not make out, but it was definitely something he did not like hearing.

"Yeah," Trystan replied and hoped her body language was on accord with her words. "Everything's good. I'm glad you're here."

Peter was flattered that he was the one she called on when she was down, and he was not embarrassed by the fact that he had begun packing the night she first called.

Over the course of their reconciliation, he had done much to disassociate his feelings for her, but there was something mystical about Trystan, magical even, that had him bending to her will with a single word.

She looked a bit tired as he followed her into the kitchen, the smell of the treats stronger as they entered.

"You sure you okay?" Peter queried as she grabbed a bowl filled with already-prepped cookie batter from a separate counter and placed it on the island.

"Don't I look it?" Trystan teased, striking a small pose before chuckling to herself.

You look more than okay, Peter thought as he let his libido speak for him. In a black halter top and matching loose fitting pants that hung from her round hips, her lax coverage proved enticing. But of course, he did not say this to her, instead voicing, "It's just that the first time you called, you sounded all happy and excited, and then the second time . . ."

Trystan flipped her hand. "It was just an exhausting day." She reached beneath the island to grab another cookie tray. "Sorry you had to hear me like that, but I'm good; I promise."

Peter nodded though he did not feel obligated to take her word for it. He watched her carefully as he sat down on a stool, her movements fluid and graceful, but something behind her dark eyes that chose to remain hidden.

Pulling the subject from off of herself, Trystan changed the subject. "How's everything with your family? Diane and your father doing okay?"

Peter shrugged and her hand instantly went to her hip. "What's the matter?"

"Everything's good with Di and my niece but my dad . . . y'know, same old, same old. Trying to find the balance between loving me and despising me."

"Mm," Trystan hummed sympathetically. She wanted to tell him that no, his father did not hate him, as she was sure he did not, but the alternative was saying that he only disliked him, which was not much better. "He'll come around one day."

Peter snorted, "I don't think he'll even be around when that day comes."

"Mommy, I'm ready!" Raina came rushing around the corner, instantly brightening the aura Trystan had accidentally darkened. The little girl reached up for Peter, and no longer tentative around the child, he lifted her onto the stool next to him.

"Mr. B? Do you like choco-chips?" Raina asked as she stirred the thick batter with Trystan's assistance.

"Why, yes, I do." Peter quickly retreated his eyes, as they had landed on Trystan when he answered.

"I like them, too, but my favorite cookies are sugar cookies, but Mommy and Nanna like choco-chip ones more better, so that's why we're making them," Raina explained and Trystan and Peter laughed. The small girl had seemed a bit disappointed, but she giggled when Trystan tapped her nose with a small dot of flour.