Chapter 15

Chapter 15

I laid down in my bed watching the birds outside my window. When I woke up earlier a big smile was glued on my face. For the first time in weeks I was happy. It felt like I could conquer the world with my bare hands. I lifted off the cover and went outside. The sun stood high on the sky as I climbed down the ladder. I felt like dancing and couldn't avoid skipping.

“You look happy” Phee said when I approached her. “I feel happy. Is it wrong to be happy?”

She smiled slyly at me and raised her eyebrows. “If it means Nicholas”

“What? I'm not happy because of him. It happens to be a good day” “Sure, I'll go and find Tom” She said as she went away. I went down to the lake and found Yoesphin trying to loosen the entangled net. “Do you need help?” I asked her. “Thank you so much!” She handed me the fishing net and sat down on a rock. “Eh, you're welcome” I sat down beside her and started to untangled it.

“How was it last night?” I asked her, hoping she would get my hint. Of course I was asking about how it went with Thyon. Her cheeks turned red and she looked away from me.

“Are you blushing? I've never seen you blush before” I laughed and turned my gaze to the net again. “No” Short answer, clever. She seemed distant as she glanced over the water. Thyon stood with the other fishers with his spear. He hadn't yet glanced over to us and was instead concentrated to locate the fish. “Why don't you tell him you feelings?” I asked Yoesphin.

“It doesn't work like that. The men are supposed to show the affection” “And why don't you change that tradition?” “Alice...” I sighed and and loosened the net further. “I will not get involved” I stated and did not look at her. In some ways it feels like I've entered the future when I talk to Yoesphin and sometimes I have gone back in time. My hair had gotten longer and now I was able to put it behind my ears. At first I regretted Phee cutting it, but now I'm quite relieved to feel the wind blowing my neck. “Michael told me something about the note” I said after a while. Yoesphin gave me a curious look. “The frog?” “Yes. He might be slimy, but he's nice” “I don't judge you” She lifted her hands in a defending gesture.

“Anyway, he told me something about the note of the crystal. He can taste different kinds of trees and told me that the paper was made of a bangolian tree. Does that say anything to you?”

“Never heard of the kind before. I'm good at tracking, not trees”

I finished untangle the net and handed it to Yoesphin. “Maybe I should talk to him again, Michael”

I stood up to my feet and noticed Phee come running. “Alice, I can't find Tom” She sounded panicked and was panting hard. “Wait, stop and take a deep breath” I said and grabbed her shoulder. She closed her eyes and did I as I told her to. “Now, what about Tom?” I asked when she was done.

“I can't find him” “What do you mean 'can't find him'? I saw him yesterday?” Yoesphin glanced over at us. “I mean like he's vanished, gone, not here!”

Then I remembered our argue yesterday. After that he'd stormed off into the woods and I hadn't seen him for rest of the day. I thought he only went away to calm himself down, not disappear. But what if he got lost? “Yoesphin?” My voice was shaking. “What do you think will happen if you'll get lost in these woods?” She dropped her net to the ground and looked at us. “Who's lost?” “Tom”

“Then we need to find him. These woods keeps going and if you don't know your land, you'll definitely get lost” She sounded calm and started to walk towards the village.

“He's lost in the forest?” Phee asked scared as she took hold of my hand. “Last time I saw him he was heading there. But don't worry, I'm sure he's alright” I said and tried my best to comfort her. Why did I make him angry? I should have sent him home the first thing when we left Heddel. No, I shouldn't even have brought him along with us. Nicholas was the one who needed to be saved. Phee had been alright all that time. Please be alright, Tom.