Chapter 14

Chapter 14

I wanted to throw the piece of paper into the lake. That was showing how frustrated I was. Two days had passed since our talk with Amos and how we finally managed to lure out the information he chose to keep to himself. I had later asked to borrow the note, having myself to believe I would somehow solve the riddle about the mysterious deliver. Amos had said that he was not in his house when the note was left there. That leaves me the clue that the one who left it had somehow managed to sneak into the village without anyone noticing. My first thought was that someone with magic would have been able to do it, but since all of the elves was afraid of humans it left me empty-handed again. I studied the image, letting my fingers touch every line. It was incredible how it was only an image of the real crystal and still it was mesmerizing. I sighed and closed my eyes. So much information had been told the last few days and it felt like my mind was blowing up. An order about the trolls, breaking a deal and soon punishment. But why wasn't the information, about the one who was giving the order, passed down from leader to leader? Maybe they wanted to protect their people from knowing too much, my inner voice said. Still someone had the right to know, specially when the force fields don't work no more and no one have a clue of their importance to other end of the deal. Maybe there is more to it than what it seems, it spoke again. It felt like I was having my own tree of wisdom inside my head, giving me the cheat to the test. Well, nearly giving me it. It bothers me when it talks in riddles. My feet were bare so I could feel the grass. It soothed me for the moment, making me relax. I laid down on the ground and looked up at the sky. It was clear as any blue sky would be in the spring. I could tell the summer was near and approached at each day. Before my parents died my father used to take me to a nearby meadow and have us look at the sky for hours. We would guess the shapes of the clouds and only talk about everything between heaven and earth. Well, as much as a five-year-old would allow it. I was not a genius in every topic. My grandmother tried her best to fit his shoes after the accident, but it wasn't the same. At my graduation I found her crying after the ceremony. “I'm so overwhelmed to see what a woman you've become, but sad your parents wasn't here to see it”

We ended that day eating cake alone in the kitchen, wishing they were there as well. My uncle wasn't there to congratulate me so it was only us two. In some way I was glad he wasn't there since I've only met him three times in my life.

“Do you see anything interesting?” Tom asked as he went to my side. I gave him a quick glance before returning them to the sky. “Just thinking” I said. “About what?”

I handed him the note. “It keeps bugging me” I said and turned my glance at it. Tom sighed and closed his eyes. “Please, don't say you actually believe this bollocks” He said irritated. I sat up glared at him. “It's true, Tom. You might as well change your mind”

“And what? Trust some people who have fake ears?”

Did he have to be this ignorant? “Why is it so bloody hard for you to believe?” I asked frustrated.

Tom raised his hands and started to make gestures. “Alice, it's a story! Elves don't exist, magic neither and this definitely not” He threw the note on the ground. I took it and stood up.

“Then what is this? Take a look around you. We're living the story whether you like it or not. It's time for you to start believe in fairytales, Tom” I cried and stormed off.

“And it's time for you to grow up” He shouted back. I turned around and my gaze shot flaming arrows at him. “Then why not leave?”

He stood quiet, only looking at me. Suddenly he stormed off into the forest. Fine, stay there. I turned around and went back to the village. Many of the elves was decorating their houses with different kinds of flowers. I noticed Nicholas sitting on the ground with some children and helping them doing wreaths. I smiled at him as he looked up. He waved and I waved back. It was sweet of him to interact with the other elves. Unlike Tom, Nicholas fitted in well and showed no signs of suspicion. I went over to Yoesphin, who was helping to arrange the bonfire.