Chapter 8

Chapter 8

My eyelids fluttered as I tried to wake up. Hands were touching me, my shirt gone and showing my upper body. I noticed the bandage still wrapped around my breasts. A woman wrapped another bandage around my left shoulder, covering the wound. It hurt, I screamed and whined at her touch. I felt warm, sweating from places I didn't even know you could sweat from. The woman tried to keep me calm and wiped my forehead with a wet cloth. Time passed and the next thing I saw was Captain Rodd. Behind him stood plenty of guards, eyeing me carefully, like I would be a threat. This was the first time I noticed where I was. I laid in a small bed, with cold masonry walls that surrounded us. There were no windows and only a wooden door as an exit. Captain Rodd gave me a hateful glare as he spoke the words. “Seize her!”

The next thing I knew, the guards was holding a firm grip on my arms and dragged me out from the room. I stumbled on my feet as I tried to keep up. “Captain, she is wounded! You can't just drag her out” I heard a woman shout after us. “She is to be taken to the king” His voice was harsh as we made our way through the great hall. We entered the throne room. A golden chair was placed on a stage. The light was so bright it hurt my eyes. The guards placed me a few feet from the king and pushed me to my knees. The pain still ached from my wound and I tried not to show it. Princess Isadora stood by her father's side and didn't dare looking me in the eye.

“What is your real name?” The king asked, finally, but his voice wasn't keen or even nice. “Alice” I stuttered, not finding the purpose to keep lying. “Is this your real name? Or should I call you traitor?” His face showed anger and I chose to look down to the floor instead. “I am no traitor, your highness” “Then why dress up as a man and take this job as a guard, to my own daughter?” I didn't answer. “Leave her in the dungeon. I will take care of the sister and her companion” I didn't realise at first he was talking about Phee and Nicholas. The thought of them getting hurt because of me caused ache in my heart. “Please, don't hurt them!” I cried as I got dragged out. I'm pretty sure neither of them listened. I noticed Isadora cast one last glance at me before the doors closed. Two guards took me down a stair and soon we were in the darkest cellar I could possibly imagine. Soon I was behind bars and watched them leave. What have I done?

* * *

I had placed myself in the furthest corner and stared at the wall for hours. I had one small window and if I stood in a certain position I could see the sky. It was dark outside so I could definitely not see any sky. My bandage was red by blood and I knew I needed to change it or else it would get infected. But no one had come to visit me, or even lecture me in that case. My teeth chattered by the cold and I tried my best to keep myself warm. What if I die here? I thought. Thoughts about my home entered and I started to cry. I wished that I'd never entered that stupid hole. Hell, I wished I'd stayed in my bed and trying to smell grandmothers delicious pancakes. I thought this was going to be my biggest adventure. It certainly has been an adventure and probably my last. I heard footsteps down the hall and quickly managed to get me to the bars. Nicholas entered and I could never have been more happier. His hair was tousled and his eyes was red by lack of sleep. “Nick” I said and my heart fluttered. “What are you doing here?” His eyes showed their usual kindness whenever he was near me. “I said I didn't want to miss this out” He said and smiled at me, not smirking. I sighed and feeling very content. “You really have your moments, don't you?” I asked jokingly. “How did you get pass the guards?” “By allowing me to visit, that's all. They are watching me behind the corner” He said and nodded against the dark hall. I couldn't stop smiling at him. “You made my day so much better” I said and sighed. “Do you have any news from above?” I was referring to the palace and my trial. For the first time I saw sadness in his eyes. “They are going to have your trial soon. I don't know when, but you will meet the judge and then it goes from there” “That's good” I tried to sound hopeful. “Alice, you're probably are going to be guilty of fraud, treason and dressing as the opposite sex. They can sentence you to death”