Chapter 5

Chapter 5

I closed the door behind me and studied my environment. As well the walls was made of wood and a big window was placed to the right with curtains. In the middle was a poster bed and in front princess Isadora stood. She had blonde wavy hair and a red dress with marks of lace everywhere. On her head was a beautiful crown made of silver placed. “Your Highness asked for me?” I said and tried to bow like a man. She had a horrified look on her face. “Dear lord, what happened to your face?” She went forward to touch my black eye and I winced by pain. She was not shy, that I could tell. “You need care right away” She said and called for a servant. “Please, your highness, I'm alright” I said and stopped her from reaching the door. When I realised that I had touched her without permission I stepped back and didn't dare to look her in the eye. Isadora smiled kindly at me. “No need to feel embarrassed by my presence, sir Keen” “What was your request, your highness?” Her eyes showed a hint of admiration before she spoke. “I had the honor to see the contest and I was quite impressed” She walked and sat in the armchair beside the window. I gave her a questioning look. “I guess you must think what the princess is doing here in Leen, so far away from home. I took a trip and heard about the contest during my visit here” She didn't budge her eyes from mine. “My father thinks I need more guards. For my safety of course. I disagree with him and the only way out was if I found one new instead of him” Now she moved her gaze to the window. “I took my trip to Leen and found you. You are very brilliant with the bow” Though my body stood still and you would believe I wasn't listening you are wrong. My mind went so fast through its thoughts that I would believe it was training for a marathon. “And you want me to be your new guard, your highness?” I wasn't sure if that was what she meant. I'm just a girl, not that she would know, and have never been to a real fight until recently and that one I lost. “You are correct, Yuric Keen. My proposition for you is a place in my personal guard at the palace” “But... I can't handle a sword” “Oh, but there will be plenty of other guards to help you with that. You are a professional with the bow so I am in no need to worry” She gave me one of her kindly smile again. There really was something special about her smiles that made it impossible to say no. No, I can't do this. I can't leave Phee like this. She and her mother had welcomed me in their home and not even complaint once. “You seem like a such gentleman and it would be an honor for me to have you there” She had now stood up from her chair and made towards to me. She stroked my arm in a gentle manner and I recognised the sparkle in her eyes. Was she flirting with me? Do princesses usually tend to do this? I can't get involved with her, she must be at least seventeen. She's too young for me, and what am I thinking? I'm a girl and I like boys. I have to act like a boy, not think like one. I didn't know what to say with her stroking all over me. “What is your answer?” “I accept your offer, your highness” My tongue spoke for itself and I wanted to take back what I said. But I couldn't. She smiled back at me and returned it. “I'm very glad. I will send an escort to your home so you can be on your way” I thanked her once more for her offer and went out the door. Seems like this adventure is going to led me somewhere really special.

* * *

Phee wasn't talking to me for the next two days. After I told her about my offer she got upset and begged me to stay. “What about you're home?” She said, referring to the forest and the hole. “Are you going to give it up?” “Of course not, but Phee let's be honest. It's been a month and we haven't still even figured out why I was sent here in the first place. It's time to realize that I'll never be going home” “Then why keep this act?” “It was an offer from the princess and I would be an idiot to not accept!” “An offer for Yuric Keen, not Alice Perkinson!” “And I am Yuric!” “No, you're just an act. I can't believe you're giving up like that” Those last words she spit on my face before she walked away. “At least I'm getting my adventure!” I screamed after her, but I knew it was too late. Was it wrong for me to leave? No, I was offered because of my talent and nothing else. If I was to stay here in Tahol, I'm going to make my visit memorable. The night before my departure I wanted to make up with Phee.