Chapter 13

Chapter 13

There was no way I would keep up with their running so instead I was allowed to ride on Thyon. He was incredibly strong and fast, despite my extra weight. It felt like we were flying and before I could even react we saw the city, some roofs still on fire. “Oh my god” I whispered, not knowing what to do. Yoesphin let out a pleading cry and Thyon was quick to let go of me to comfort her. Mothers and their children had gathered outside of the city, trying to keep them safe from the flames. “Yoesphin!” She turned to look at me, tears in her eyes. “Can you create water form thin air?” It took her a moment before the light lit in her eyes. “I will try”

She let her hands collect the small amount of water that existed in the air and soon a small ball of water was dangling in the air. “My baby!” I heard one of the woman elves cry. I watched as she ran towards one of the ladders and I tried to stop her. I could hear a small faint of cry in one of the upper platforms, a child's cry. “No, it'll need it's mother” I said and was on my way to climb until someone dragged me down. Before I could react Nicholas was on his way up and searched very cabin. “Are you mad?” I cried after him. A branch, still on fire, came lose from its tree and fell right in front of me. I jumped to the side, my heart thumping hard in my chest. Yoesphin had managed to extinguish the fire on one of the roofs. Amos came carrying, along with others, buckets of water from the lake. Many of the water elves had started to use their powers to help Yoesphin. Please don't die, I thought and linked my hands together, hoping Nicholas would be alright. The woman beside me gasped and a hopeful smile spread across her face. I looked up and saw Nicholas carrying a small smile in his arms, both of them coughing. The woman climbed up the ladder to reach for her child. Soon Nicholas had made his way down and fell to the ground. I rushed to his side, as fast as my leg would allow. “Nick, your loony” I said and let a few tears escape my eyes. “I didn't save you to only let you die again” He coughed some more and drew in a long breath of air. “I needed to restore my manly side” He croaked and I slapped his arm. “You've never been manly” I said and rose to my feet. Soon the fire was gone and a crowd had gathered around Amos.

“What are we going to do?” “Will they come back?” “Do we have to move?”

Worried voices echoed the area. People had now started to notice the other humans beside me. Some of them cried, some turned their fists to us and some started to run away. “Care to explain what happened?” I said to Amos as I approached his side. He didn't look me in the eye and kept shooting glares filled with fright towards Nicholas and Tom. “Father” Yoesphin came forward and laid a hand on his shoulder. “Alice, I think burnt my hand” Phee said as she approached me as well. I took a look at her hand, the skin red and slightly sore. I tore off a piece of my shirt and wrapped it around her hand. “This will do for now, but you might need antibiotic” I said, not even thinking of my choice of words. “What's antibiotic?” Phee asked. Right, another thing that doesn't exist in this world. “Eh, some kind of ointment”

More people had started to give me odd looks, obviously by my choice of words I guess. I could sense that Nicholas was getting uncomfortable as well. “Why do they keep staring?” He asked. Amos sighed and closed his eyes for a second.

“Because you haven't tried to kill either of us yet”

I took a step back. What was he talking about? “Why would you die? I think you're pretty” Phee said confused. I couldn't help but let out a small laugh at her statement.

“You're bloody right! Who knows if you'll try blowing us up again with your mysterious ways” Tom shouted. “Tom, shut up!” I cried at him and he looked taken aback. Many of the elves had retreated and I noticed several hiding behind the trees. “Is there something we need to know?” I asked carefully. More like that I should know since I had no clue about their history or even the history of Tahol. Something in their movements told me that their history, the elves, wasn't pleasant.