Roots

"Thanks," Fitz gasped as he and Sophie dashed down the corridors, alarms blaring. "Couldn't have done it a bit sooner, though?" 

Sophie punched his arm. "Just be grateful Dimitar didn't kill me and you'd have to rely on the Councillors to rescue you."

They flew down corridors and skidded around corners as Sophie tracked their friends with her mind. "There they are!" She grabbed the door handle and jiggled it. "No use," she said in despair. "They're locked tight and we don't have a key." 

"You don't, but we do," Calla said from behind them. Fitz and Sophie turned in surprise to find Mitya, Lur, Sior, and Calla. 

"We've been following you for hours but we couldn't find you after you were all separated," Sior explained as Calla began humming, causing leafy green plants to sprout from the ground. "Hurry, Calla!"

The plants twisted around until they resembled a key. Calla's tune changed and the transformed  leaves inserted themselves into the lock and turned. 

Sophie held her breath. Please work, she thought. And they did. The Councillors and the Collective, Keefe, Dex, and Biana burst through the door, shouting in relief.

"Hush!" Calla warned. "We must leave immediately. Follow me." 

The group obeyed, and Calla led them outside to where Dimitar and the ogres were still unconscious. 

"Wait!" Keene said. "Lemme do something really quick." He approached the collapsed ogre King, pulled out a pen, and drew a pair of glasses and a moustace on Dimitar's face. "There. Now let's go."

Calla rolled her eyes, and all four gnomes belted out a song. A tunnel in the dirt opened, and the roots carried everyone away.