Gnomes

It was like entering the core of the Four Seasons tree. There were elements of all of the seasons--perfectly combined into something breathtaking. Sophie glanced at her friends and her eyes landed on Fitz first. He was looking upwards, and the light was reflecting off of his eyes, making the teal even more pronounced than usual. He caught her looking and grinned. 

"Pretty amazing, isn't it?"

Sophie nodded and looked away to hide her blush. She wished her stomach would stop flipping. 

"So, Forkle dude, when are we allowed to know who you really are?" Keefe queried.

"When you have proved yourselves worthy," Mr. Forkle answered as he led them to a large treehouse with a little gazebo in a tower above it. "You will all be in separate rooms but there is a group common area for you to move about. Dinner will be served in an hour, followed by an announcement from our Collective."

"What is your Collective?" Dex asked.

"It's like the Council, only we do not hesitate to step in and get our cloaks dirtied, Mr. Dizznee. We believe that leaders must lead."

They scaled the tree and entered the aforementioned common room. 

"This is so beautiful!" Biana exclaimed happily. "I wish my room could look like this one."

"I know," agreed Sophie. "I don't know how the decorators did it."

"Would you like to meet them?" Mr. Forkle stepped away from the door, and seven gnomes came in, all with their eyes uncomfortably fixated on Sophie with awe. "This is Calla, Sior, Mitya, and Lur." He then named the others and moved back.

"You would not have any idea of how much we have anticipated meeting you, Moonlark." Calla said, taking Sophie's hand.

"Well, um. Thank you?" Sophie replied. "It's nice to meet you too."

Introductions went on for awhile, before the gnomes and Mr. Forkle left and the tired refugees retired to their rooms.