Memories

Sophie appeared at Havenfield, and was immediately gagging, for Iggy had somehow escaped from his cage and had just hit her in the face with Iggy breath. "Iggy!" Sophie exclaimed, fanning the air from her face as she walked inside.

"How was your day?" Edaline asked, appearing from the kitchen with a plate of custard bursts.

Sophie's eyes widened. "You made custard bursts!" She exclaimed, promptly popping the treat into her mouth. When she had swallowed, she replied, "Fine. Tiergan was really working us (mainly Fitz) hard because Mr. Forkle showed him how to get past my blocking."

Edaline nodded understandingly. "I figured he would. Well, as long as you're safe, I suppose there's no harm in working hard. Here, take these up to your room and get started on your homework." She handed Sophie the plate and disappeared down the hall.

Sophie would probably have groaned had she not had a whole plate full of custard bursts to herself, but as she did, Sophie reluctantly obeyed. She wound her way up the glass steps to the third floor, thinking vaguely of the exercises Tiergan had given her, but most of her mind was on Fitz. He seemed to be enjoying this special connection between them, and his enjoyment would likely increase as he became more adept at entering Sophie's mind. Maybe, if at all possible, his liking of getting into her brain would transfer to her in general. Sophie highly doubted this, though. Fitz thought of her only as a friend, maybe a sister even. There was no chance that she would ever win his affections. Pushing the image of the striking teal eyes out of her brain, she entered her room and found Dex sneaking over to Iggy's cage.

"Dex?!"

He jumped, almost sloshing the elixir he was carrying from the bottle. "Oh ... er, hi, Sophie."

Dexter Alvin Dizznee, which one do you have this time?" Sophie asked darkly, setting the custard bursts on her desk and taking the black bottle from Dex and examining it.

"I took you up on your suggestion about the purple updo and whipped something up real quick." Dex explained, snatching the bottle away from Sophie and pouring it in Iggy's food bowl before she could react.

Sophie groaned. "You're impossible. Iggy's a boy, Dex! Although, it will be interesting ...." She giggled in spite of herself and put Iggy back in his cage, securely locking it. Iggy dived into his bowl, happily munching. Then his skin began to bubble, and his fur became a bright purple, and a turban-like thing appeared on the imp's head, with ringlets trailing down over his ears.

Dex roared with laughter. "Isn't it hilarious?" He asked, surpassing more laughing fits.

Sophie found herself smiling despite her disapproving instincts. "I suppose so," she conceded. "But really, Dex, you could at least have given him something amusing and that would keep him from trashing the whole building."

Dex smirked, shrugged and snatched a custard burst. "Can I have one of these?" He asked, but only after swallowing his first one.

She gave him a withering look and sat down at her desk after popping another burst into her mouth.

"I take that as a yes." Dex ate one more and joined her as she pulled out her Telepathy homework. "Wow, that's really intense. I'm glad my Technopath Mentor doesn't give me that stuff. I just have to invent something new every other week."

"Yeah," Sophie sighed. "But I love it so much. It's almost worth it to have these exercises." Her mind wandered automatically to Fitz, and she pretended to dig around in her backpack for a pencil as a blush flamed on her face.

"Can I help?" He asked her when she sat up again. Sophie could tell he'd noticed her blush. 

"Sorry, Dex, I don't think so. You kind of need to be a Telepath to do these." She held up one paper. "This one is for retrieving memories from someone ..." She trailed off. "I could practice on you, if that's okay."

Dex bit his lip and frowned. "I don't know. Most of my memories you either don't want to see, I wouldn't want you to see, or you would have no idea of what to look for."

"You could let me find a memory of one of your Technopathy sessions," she suggested. "Or ... when we got kidnapped and we were in Paris, France after Mr. Forkle rescued us."

"How about when I first met you?" Dex said quickly. "You could do that one, couldn't you?"

She smiled. "Sure. Try to take the memory and hide it somewhere in your mind so I actually have to search for it."

Dex scrunched up his face in a look of concentration before saying, "okay."

Sophie put her hands on Dex's temples and plunged into his mind. It was very calm and peaceful, not jarring and scary like Prentice and Fintan's. She tried inflicting various positive emotions like happiness, and friendship, and ... a little tiny touch of love. Sophie removed her fingertips and leaned back into her chair, smirking. "Found it."

Dex grinned. "I could feel the emotions when you inflicted on me," he said, his cheeks reddening slightly. "It was happy, and I knew I would be friends with you, so I guess that would be friendship, and I think the last one you did was -- excitement?"

Sophie knew he had purposefully changed the emotion she'd inflicted, so she smiled at him and turned back to her work. "Umm ... you want to try again? And could we maybe do a darker memory? I haven't really gotten much practice with negative emotions ...."

Dex sank onto the floor and stared at his hands for a minute before agreeing. "And I think we should to the one where I'm being blasted with the melder."

Sophie shuddered. She hated relieving that incident as much as he did. So she found herself unable to speak and her eyes tearing up as she nodded her head.

He stood and put an arm around her. "Hey, it's only a memory, albeit a painful one. It's not like the Neverseen are outside your door."

She gave a large sniff. "B-but that's the thing. Th-they're out there, and p-probably looking. I d-don't want to make you feel any w-worse than you do n-now."

Dex squeezed her shoulder. "Sophie. It's going to be all right. Would you rather do the one  when I -- I --" his voice was cracking "gave you the Restrictor?"

Enough rage bubbled up inside of Sophie's chest that her tears stopped flowing. "Fine." She replaced her fingers on his temples and once again dove into his mind. But before she could do anything, Fitz's voice carried through the room.

"What are you doing?"

Sophie yanked her hands away, her face bright red again. Dex jumped, looking around warily before realizing that there were no rebels nearby. "We were practicing." Sophie explained.

"Oh." Fitz's voice sounded oddly funny, but Sophie couldn't put her finger on it. "I thought we were going to work together."

"I came over to give Iggy a new elixir and she told me I could help." Dex folded his arms and turned to Sophie. "I'm going home. Don't hesitate to use your ring I gave you if you need me." He reminded her. Sophie looked down at the ring that could signal Dex, and when she looked up again, he was gone.

"Soo ... you're practicing with Dex now, are you?" Fitz asked, sinking into a chair next to Sophie.

"Honestly, Fitz, he wanted to. I didn't see how it would hurt anything."

"I guess you're right." Fitz sighed and ran a hand through his hair, somehow making him look even cuter. "Want to practice more now that I can get in your head?" He smirked when Sophie grimaced. 

"Fiiiinnneee. But I'm not sure if I like letting you read my thoughts," she teased as he reached his hands for her temples.

"It's still new to you. You'll get over it eventually." He reassured her. "I'm just using the temple tactic because I want to have a firm foundation of your mind before I go it without touching you."

Sophie's mind let out a breath of relief. So she could keep her mind guarded from him for a little longer. That was good.

"On the count of three." Fitz began. "One ... two ... three ...." He plunged into her head.