Instructions

A/N: What do you think about having an occasional chapter from Fitz's POV?

--

Can you hear me? Sophie thought, after Fitz had pronounced that he was in her mind.

Yeah. And it's just as crazy as the last time I was in here. He transmitted. Seriously, how do you wade through it all?

I guess I don't notice it. It is my mind, so maybe I'm just used to it. She shrugged. Wow, this is so weird. It's odd having you know what I'm thinking. Sophie blushed, realizing that he could find out that she liked him this way. And then she realized that he probably heard that thought. And then she facepalmed because of the awkwardness.

Maybe we could work on implanting things. How do you do it?

Well, last time I mixed the usual energy with a little brain push energy. Do you know how to use a brain push?

I think I know the theory, but I've never actually done it. He transmitted, his face screwing up into a look of concentration.

There should be a little energy from the back of your mind. You mix it with the memory and a little of the regular energy and channel it into my mind.

Fitz's face screwed up into a look of concentration. All of a sudden, Sophie felt a warm burst of energy in her mind and she received the memory Fitz had implanted. "Let's test it." She opened her desk drawer and pulled out her memory log. But then she spotted something odd. A small bottle lay to the right of where her log had been, and it had a slip of paper inside. "What's this?" Sophie opened it and shook the paper out of it. 

It was stamped with the sign of the Black Swan.

"Does this mean what I think it does?" Fitz breathed, his eyes as wide as they could possibly go. "We're finally getting our mission?"

Sophie nodded and unfolded the note.

The Neverseen are getting stronger.

You must not wait any longer.

To the Forbidden Cities you must go,

Where memories lie and tears have flown.

Time is flying, and so you must do,

And there Mr. Forkle will wait for you.

"Where would that be?" Fitz asked, confused.

"My old home." murmured Sophie. "Remember, I had a breakdown when I had to drug my parents?"

He nodded. "If I'm not mistaken, you wouldn't budge until I gave you Ella."

She blushed, and Fitz laughed. "Hey, you have Mr. Snuggles."

"What's this about a certain Mr. Snuggles?" A voice called from behind them, and they jumped and turned to see Keefe smirking at them.

 Fitz was as red as a beet. "Oh ... uh ... nothing."

"Uh huh. Foster, I just got a note from the Black Swan. Any idea of where we go?"

"Me too!" Biana chimed in, coming through Sophie's door. 

"And me." Dex said, a little dejectedly, probably still angry over what had happened earlier.

"Okay, okay, calm down." Sophie said. "It's talking about my old home. Mr. Forkle wants to talk to us, I suppose."

"Really? I guess we'll have to teleport there."

"Are you going to leave without telling an adult?" Edaline's voice called, and they turned a bit sheepishly to the figure leaning on the doorframe. "I thought we've gone through this. You almost got killed last time. Imagine what we would have thought if Grady hadn't listened in."

"Sorry, Mom." Sophie apologized. "But we have our first mission, we think, for the Black Swan. We have to go. And it's also at my old house, and the Neverseen will have a hard time finding us." She explained.

Edaline sighed and rubbed her temples. "All right. But you have 30 minutes, and then you have to be back here."

They nodded, and stood on Sophie's bed, holding hands. Sophie ordered her hand not to sweat as Fitz stood next to her, and they jumped off. The void cracked into existence, and the group disappeared.