The Meeting with the Collective

The next day, Sophie and the others went down to breakfast and saw a very interesting sight. Mr. Forkle stood with a hovering cloak, a rock statue, a blobby blur, and a figure carved with cloudy ice. 

"Whoa," Dex said. "Who--or maybe what--are you?"

"We are the Collective," the rock-man said. "I am Granite, and this is Squall, Wraith, and Blur." He pointed to each in turn. "We are honored to have you join us."

"Not honored, per se, but relieved that you all chose to come into safety." Wraith said. "The Council is not acting friendly or even respectful of the Elven world."

"Especially Dame Alina," Sophie interjected.

"Hey, do we get to see behind the masks?" Keefe piped up. "We're part of you now, aren't we?"

The Collective looked at each other and simultaneously chorused, "No."

"But why?" Biana complained. 

"You might find out later on, but do not expect us to." Mr. Forkle said. "For the moment, I want to work with you on your abilities after you eat. Go ahead, and meet us down by the river."

---

Sophie, Fitz, Biana, Dex, and Keefe made their way down the beautifully carved steps and approached the Collective.

"Ah, there you are! Keefe, you are going to work with Squall, Dex, you are going with Blur, Biana and Wraith, and Sophie and Fitz with me and Granite."

They separated into groups pretty well spread apart, and after Sophie's group had seated themselves on the soft grass. Granite started the meeting by saying, "Sophie and Fitz, Mr. Forkle and I are going to train you as Cognates."