Rescue

Sophie and Fitz lost no time. They sprinted out of their cell, channelling every ounce of energy they could spare to fuel their speed down the corridor. 

"They'll be onto us soon," Fitz said, panting. "Can you track everyone down?"

"Yes." Sophie stretched out her mind, feeling for each and every thought. "They're on the lowest cell block, but we won't have enough time to reach them before we're caught."

"We have to try!" he shouted. "Come on, Sophie! If we get the Councillors first, then maybe they can help rescue the others." 

Sophie knew how much it pained him--and her--to say that. Their friends and the Collective were dear to them as well, but they had to think about the welfare of their world. 

The pair blasted every door out of the way, and skidded around every corner, feeling--knowing-- that they would be too late. 

But they weren't. 

"They're behind this door!" Sophie said, then spoke to the Councillors. "I'm going to break down the door. I need you to move back and protect yourselves." She gave them three seconds before she sang the last of her energy into the lock, and the door crumbled. The rulers inside, were terrified, but unharmed.

"Come on!" Fitz yelled. "We need to rescue the others!"

The group turned the corner and slammed into a gigantic chest.

King Dimitar leered down at the elves.