Chapter Thirty Eight

"I'll let you know when I'm ready" she says, smiling to show that she won't change her mind, especially after all the emotions, beautiful and sorrowful ones, engulfed her in such ways that she's not sure if the tears were of sadness or contentment.

"Of course, you know the number. Just make the call and I'll set it all ready for you" he returns back the gentle smile and drives away, or more like his driver drives away. She turns around to face the big house, the mansion that she thought would make her life much better but instead made it a whole lot worse.

She wonders how many times Harry had passed by, always catching a glimpse of the first house he had lived, the first house that was the cause of his first memories, whether it be of his unhappy parents, or his loving sister. He lived here, and she wanted nothing else but to return it back.

She walks in, wanting to do this more than ever.

Each step that leads upstairs made her heart beat ten times, guilt and curiosity and nervousness enveloping her in all sides. It's been a long time, ten years specifically.

She walks pass by Gemma's room, and her's too. The door awaits, all unlocked and hiding the room that held many sights. His tears were soaked in the pillow inside, his laughters were echoed within these walls, his love was felt by every furnitures. She wanted to do this for a long time, hanging her head back slightly as the memory returns.

Her nine year old fingers were itching, it was pulling her towards the room. Her parents had gone out to attend some wedding, leaving behind Gemma and her alone.

This room is forbidden, and if I ever catch you coming in, you'll be scarred for life,  as Gemma would say. But she didn't care, she wanted to see how the life was for the boy she had replaced.

How they treated him, or how they made his room to be. She wanted to know it all.

So she runs up, silently walking past Gemma's locked room and past her room as well and ended up at the corner.

His room was the biggest, even though her's was big enough. She also knew it had a balcony and that toys scattered everywhere while he lived here. Temporarily lived.

She sighs, then push the door open.

Nothing had changed. It was clean though, but his toys and books were still organized like he's gone on a vacation and will come back to this. She walks in further, not bothering to close the door back.

Gemma never cared about what she does anyway.

The first thing she stares at was his bed. It was huge, too big for a small boy. Unlike any other kid, he didn't have any pattern or theme for his sheets. Just plain brown. Like his parents didn't bother in caring what he likes.

His walls were interrupted with frames, certificates and pictures and drawings. Surely only Gemma would be kind enough to help him do these.

He drew his family, all of them holding hands but his parents were further away. He smiled but had tears streaming down and was an exception to the happiness in the drawing. She gasps from how sad he was. He needed love. He needed nothing else but his parent's love.

All these toys weren't what he desired. These books didn't satisfy the hole in his heart. Nothing could be compared to a parent's love.

He was small yet he understood it all. Gemma was the only string that got him attached to this household. But that also was cut by the decision of his parents.

She turns around, heading for the balcony. The glass doors were layered with yellow curtains, for it to exaggerate the sun rays. She squints her eyes from how bright it was but managed to slide it open.