Chapter Twenty One

I stare down at the drink that was in front of me. I knew this was a coffee shop, but they had other beverages besides coffee. I look around as I see everyone engaging in conversation with someone else, or someone talking on the phone as they sip from their cup. I notice how everyone was in their own little world, not paying attention to anything around them.

I hear the front doorbell ring and I look over to see Atlanta walking in. I smile as I watch her walk over to me and sit down across from me. She sighs then looks at me. "I hate life." She says.

I tilt my head as I watch her. "Why?" I ask.

She shrugs. "Too much sometimes." She excuses herself then stands up and walks over to the front counter. I watch her as she buys a coffee then walks back over to me. As she sits down, she sips from her cup then sets it down. "So, what's new?"

I shrug as I watch her for a moment. "Nothing really." I stare down at the table. I said as I didn't know what to say.

"Anything new with Jordan?" She asks.

I look up to see her watching me which makes me shrug. "Not really." I say. It was the truth. I was getting nowhere with Jordan, and I wasn't sure how much longer I could wait.

"I'm sorry to hear that." She said as I didn't really hear sincere in her voice.

I stare at her as she takes another sip of her coffee, and I knew something was wrong. "What's wrong?" I ask as she sets her cup down.

She looks at me for a moment. "What do you mean?"

"You're not acting like yourself." I say as I watch her. "Something is wrong."

She sighs but doesn't say anything for a moment. "It's everything, Alexis." She looks down.

"Talk to me." I say as I watch her.

She shakes her head. "It's fine, Alexis." She looks around for a moment until her eyes land on mine. "I wouldn't want to talk about it here anyway."

I watch her. "Then let's go home. We can talk there."

"Just leave it, Alexis. Ok?" She stares at me. "Really. It's fine."

I knew she wasn't ok. I've known her for three years, and she has never acted like this and it was honestly worrying me. "Atlanta, I know you. I can tell when something is wrong. Please, talk to me." I couldn't understand why she wouldn't tell me what was wrong. She always tells me things. I caught her looking around, and I knew she wasn't going to talk here. "Let's go." I say as I stand up and wait for her.

She sits there for a moment until she quickly gets up and walks past me. "You're so damn stubborn." She says once she's walking away. I followed her outside and to the parking lot. Once we were near her car, she leans against it then crosses her arms while staring at me. "What do you want to know, Alexis?"

I watch her for a moment. "I want to know what's wrong. I'm your best friend, you can talk to me about whatever. You do know that, right?"

She sighs then looks around for a moment until she looks back at me. "You know, Alexis. I don't have to tell you everything that goes on through my head. You may be my friend, but some things I can keep to myself."

I stared at her. "Why are you acting like this?" I ask.

She shakes her head then looks down for a moment. I didn't know what was going on, but I was worried.

Atlanta, for as long as I knew her, was the type that would tell you what was going on if it was confinent for her. She wouldn't hold something in when it was hurting her, and I knew that because we would always talk about something that was bothering her.