Chapter Sixteen

^Hurt By You - Emily Warren

Part Two

The only sound that I could hear was the sound of my music blasting through my headphones as I was drowning every other noise out.

The people around me. The constant noises. They all drive me insane. I can't seem to get away from either or them though, since I have to encounter them everyday. But that never seems to matter to anyone else since they never seem to care.

I learnt how to shut the world out and feed the voices inside my head. I don't need anyone, and nobody needs me. I'm happy being alone, and I think that's how it's always meant to be because I've come to terms with reality not too long ago.

Nobody is your friend. They're all enemies. They're cheaters, liars, backstabbers, and they will tear you apart, leave you broken, knock you down, and hurt you in ways you can't understand.

The best way is to close off your heart, keep your emotions to yourself and keep the world completely out.

As I was sitting at the table, minding my business, I felt a tap on my leg. I looked up to see this girl smiling at me. I took one earbud out and stared at her. "Can I help you?" I ask.

She continued to smile. "Is this seat taken?" She motioned towards the chair that I was currently propping my feet up in.

I nod. "Yep." I place my earbud back in and kept listening to my music. When I look up after a moment, the girl was gone and I smile as I focus back on my phone.

I scrolled through my phone until I felt my feet being pushed out of the chair. I quickly pull one of my earbuds out, ready to lash out on whoever is messing with me until I saw the only person who I never once get angry with.

I take my earbuds completely out and set my phone on the table as I look at her. "You're late." I say.

She sighs. "Yeah, sorry. Traffic is a bitch." She rolls her eyes as she looks at me.

I chuckle as I look at her. She's been with me for three years, not romantically, but as friends. She's the only person who I care to talk with because she listens to me. Nobody else does, so that's why she's my number one.

I lost contact with Kate and Nathan years ago. After we graduated college, they went their seperate ways and I didn't feel like keeping in touch. I dealt with enough heartbreak in my life, so I wasn't about to add on to it with them.

Atlanta is the one who stuck with me. She's the one who I ran to when I needed comforting. She was always there when nobody else was, and I owe her so much shit because she's literally the best friend I have ever had.

"So, I have a question." She started. I looked at her as she was watching me. "Would you like to go with me to this place tonight?" She asks.

I stared at her. "What place?"

She smiled. "A party, duh."

I groan as I wanted to bang my head on the table. I hated going places, especially parties now. I love drinking, but sometimes I wasn't in the mood for interacting with people. She knew that but yet she still has the audacity to ask if I wanted to go, knowing that I would not want to.

I watch her as she's staring at me. "I don't want to go." I pout which makes her chuckle. "It's not funny."

"It is because you're acting like a child. It's not going to be so bad. You might actually have fun." She stated. "When's the last time you had fun?" She asks.

I groan. "I don't care about having fun. I'd rather sit at home." I question.

"You would rather sit your ass at home doing nothing, than going out and partying?" She chuckles as I roll my eyes.