The Dreams I Caught {11}

JACE

I rubbed my hands nervously together. Alec had left a few minutes ago and any second Clary would walk through the door. "There is no reason why she would see you any differently." I said to myself. A sigh passed through my lips. "Who am I kidding? She practically thought I was a child who needed her every step of the way. She probably thinks I'm pathetic." I thought. "There is no way she really cares about you. You're stupid, pathetic, weak, pain in the –"

"Jace?" A soft voice said while pulling me out of my thoughts. I turned my head towards the door. The short, red head closed the door softly and walked closer to me.

I was about to close myself off again, like I had been doing since I got back, but something else inside me clicked. Seeing her here, with me, reminded me that it wasn't me who was suffering the most. It was all apart of something bigger. Something huge from her past.

"Clary." I whispered. She looked up slightly confused, but before she could question me I threw my arms around her. "I'm so sorry." I whispered to her. "I'm so sorry." I said again.

I felt her small hands wrap around me, returning the hug. "Why are you sorry?" She asked me gently. I could feel my breath getting caught in my throat. The terrible memories of Clary and the things she went through mixed with my own suffering filled my mind.

"I..." I started. My vision started to get blurry due to the tears forming. "Jace, you dont have to."

"No. What you went through as a child... I wouldn't wish it on anyone." I took a deep breath and met my eyes with hers. "You know how my father beat me when I didn't get things right in training. When I...when I was a trapped in that world it brought up so many memories of my father." A tear ran down my cheek without my permission.

"When Alec brought me back, I closed myself off to everyone, but I didn't realize the things you had gone through." I hugged her tightly again. "I'm so sorry." I cried into her.

"I'm sorry you had to go through that again." She whispered to me. I shook my head slightly. "You did nothing wrong." I whispered back to her.

"I'm just glad I have you to get through it." I said to her. I could feel her smile. "You'll always have me." She said.

"And you'll always have me." I said back.

After a few more minutes of hugging and crying we finally pulled apart. "Hungry?" She asked me. I smiled at her. "Always." I replied with a chuckled.

She wrapped her hand in mine and we walked out the door. The past would never be forgotten, but we knew we could find comfort and strength in each other for the future.