Chapter 94

BEN'S POV

As soon as we exited the portal, we saw a massive circular hole in the ground. Definitely the size of a rift.
"This is definitely the right place." Alec said, holding his bow in one hand. I looked around and noticed a stain on the sand.
"What is that?" I asked.
"Blood." Alec replied.
"Where did all the demons go?" Izzy asked, her tone slightly nervous.
"I'm not sure. They just don't normally fly off into the sunset." Magnus replied.
"Well, let's not stick around until they make an appearance." Alec said, more of a statement than a suggestion.
"The amount of energy required to seal a rift from Edom is substantial.
It's not just a flick of the wrist." Magnus
"You gonna be OK?" Alec asked Magnus. Despite their current fight, well, Magnus' current frustrations at him, Alec did still care about Magnus.
"I'm the High Warlock of Brooklyn." Magnus replied as if that should calm his nervousness. With that, Magnus began to close the rift. However, we all paused when we saw something flying towards us. Suddenly, a demon flew up through the rift, bursting free and hitting me, knocking me down.
"BEN!" Alec exclaimed.
"GO! I'm all right!" I called.
"Cover me!" I heard Magnus request.
I could hear the cry of the Edomei, before I could hear Alec calling Magnus' name. I looked up to see Alec running towards us calling Magnus' name. Magnus turned around quickly, fired a ball of magic at the Edomei in order to destroy it before turning back to closing the rift, letting Alec, Izzy, and I to take care of the rest of them. Once everything was finished, Magnus collapsed to his knees due to the major amount of strength he had just used. Alec raced over to him.
"Magnus! Magnus." He said, kneeling down beside him and putting a comforting hand on his back.
"You can't get rid of me that easily." Magnus replied, turning around and looking up at him.
"Would you have enough strength to make a portal or should we walk back?" I asked Magnus.
"No, I can make a portal." Magnus replied.
"Are you sure? You just used a major amount of strength closing the rift." I said.
"Yes, I am sure Ben." Magnus said. All three of the Shadowhunters sighed as Magnus opened to a portal in order to transport the four of them back to the Institute.

*Later - Back at the Institute*

NO ONE'S POV

As soon as they got back to the Institute, Alec, Isabelle, Ben, and Magnus did a scan on where the remaining Edomei were so they could send some Shadowhunters out to deal with them. Unfortunately, nothing came up. It was like they had disappeared into thin air as soon as the rift was closed.
"It's like the Edomei completely disappeared." Ben said confused. He and his siblings looked at Magnus to see if the warlock would provide any insight into their current predicament.
"I never heard of that." Magnus said, his tone slightly nervous. He then turned to Ben, Isabelle, and Alec. "Once they pass through the rift, the demons are here to stay until they're properly banished." He explained further.
"Then where the hell are they?" Alec asked impatiently. He knew no one could tell him, but his impatience at all the current situations felt like it was crushing him. Between being unable to help Jace even though he and Clary were in enemy territory, to not knowing where all these demons had disappeared to, it was weighing down on him.

Ben, Magnus, Isabelle, and Alec were currently searching for the demons that had suddenly disappeared without a trace when Alec felt something. A sharp, searing pain overwhelmed his body, stemming from his parabatai rune. He cried out in pain, attracting the attention of not only Magnus, Ben and Isabelle, but also several other Shadowhunters around them.
"Alexander? Are you ok?" Magnus asked, walking over to Alec, Izzy and Ben following him. Alec lifted up his shirt to where his parabatai rune was placed to see that it was burning. Purely by looking at him, his reaction, and where his hand was placed, Isabelle and Ben knew what had happened. Their brother had either lost or was losing his parabatai. Magnus also knew what happened. He had seen one parabatai lose another before. All of them knew that there was nothing that any of them could do to comfort him in any way.
"His parabatai rune." Isabelle stated once she saw it. Alec lifted up his shirt to see said rune burning. Alec cried out in pain, gripping onto the table. He honestly felt like he had been stabbed. Alec immediately knew what had happened. Jace had been stabbed in some way and was now dying. Alec could feel Jace's life force slipping away. Alec fell to his knees, crying out in pain as he felt their bond getting increasingly weaker. The pain that had overtaken his body was like nothing he had ever felt before. He felt like his world was ending, like his life was over. Cries of pain emanated from his mouth, and tears streamed down his face as he felt the pain of losing his other half. He didn't even need to look down at his parabatai rune to know that he had lost his parabatai. He finally felt it. He could almost hear it. The bond he treasured so dearly had snapped. Alec looked down towards his left hip, lifting up his shirt up just in time to see his parabatai rune, the most treasured rune he had on his body, fade.  Alec knew.  He knew what had happened.  The pain and emptiness of losing his other half was too much. Jace was dead and Alec hadn't been there to protect him.
"I can't feel him. He's dead." Alec said between pants. Ben, Isabelle, and Magnus knelt down beside him as Alec looked off into the distance blankly, his hand over where his parabatai rune had been, painfully aware of the empty void in his soul that had been left by the loss of his parabatai.