Chapter 41

JACE'S POV

Luke and I were currently in Luke's car on the way to the Institute. I decided to call Alec to make sure he was ok since he wasn't picking up earlier and I knew something bad was happening there.
"Are you okay?" I asked, wanting to make sure my parabatai was alright.
"We're under attack. Major casualties. Valentine used Madzie to take down the wards. She suffocated everyone." Alec replied in a low voice, it sounded like he was keeping his voice down to hide from someone.
"Where are Izzy and Ben?" I asked, worried for our siblings.
"I don't know, but they weren't with me. I'm going to try and find them now." He replied. I could hear the worry in his voice.
"Alec, he's there to use the power core instead of lightning. He's got Simon and he's threatening to kill him if Clary doesn't come and activate the sword." I explained.
"You have to keep Clary away from that sword." Alec said forcefully.
"Don't worry. She's with Magnus. Luke and I are coming for it now. Just get to the power core. Shut it down. That way, no matter who touches the sword, it won't turn on." I said. Suddenly, Alec cried out and it sounded like his phone crashed onto the floor. "Alec? Alec?" I exclaimed. I heard grunting and gasping from the other end as well as a sword slash. Oh no. When I received no reply, I hung up. Worry coursed through my body. I knew Alec wasn't dead, I would feel it and my parabatai rune would have faded if he was, but I didn't know if he was ok or not, and that thought scared me. I hope he's ok and that the gasping wasn't from him. I swore I heard his voice at the end, but I wasn't completely sure.
"You're a cop. Can't you drive any faster?" I asked Luke.
"You wanna drive?" He retorted. I don't do mundane driving.
"I'm sorry. I, I just, I have to get to Alec." I said, putting my hand over my parabatai rune in order to ground myself. Alec and I both have a habit of doing that. Whenever something is wrong with the other, especially when we're not together, we press our hands to our parabatai runes to ground ourselves, even to just reassure ourselves that the other is still alive.
"I know what you're going through. I had a parabatai once." Luke explained. Valentine. I knew that Luke was the only one apart from Alec who would know what I was going through.
"When Valentine turned on you, that must've been unbearable." I said sadly. I couldn't even imagine what it would feel like if Alec turned on me.
"It was. I felt like my life was over. But, over time, I got past it. Alec's gonna be okay." He said in a comforting tone.
"He has to be." I replied, looking out the window. Suddenly, someone ran out in front of the car and Luke screeched to a halt. The person I saw was the last person I wanted to see. "What the hell is she doing here?" I asked Luke. He didn't say anything but we both got out of the car. Maia grabbed Luke by the collar and slammed him against the closed door.
"You locked me up in the dark?" She demanded.
"Where did you come from?" Luke muttered.
"I was watching, waiting for my chance. But I couldn't wait any longer." She snarled. I rounded the car and put my seraph blade to her neck.
"Jace, put the blade away. This is between me and Maia." Luke said, looking at me.
"Are you sure? She's out of control." I said.
"So true." She said, punching me in the face. Luke then grabbed her. "Let go! Get off of me!" She demanded.
"No, Maia, put this in perspective. The fate of the entire Downworld is at stake." He said, trying to restrain her.
"Who's lost perspective? Who protects Shadowhunters over their own pack?" Maia snarled at Luke. With that Maia began transforming, but just as she started she cried out and began shaking before collapsing. I looked at Luke who had a stun gun in his hand.
"She won't be down for long. Help me get her in the car." Luke effectively ordered.
"No. We have to get back to the Institute." I said, my mind only on Alec.
"I can't just leave her here." He said as if it were obvious.
"What do we do if she wolfs out again?" I asked.
"That's what the stun gun's for." He said, holding it up again, a small smirk on his face. I rolled my eyes and helped him put her in the back of the car.

SIMON'S POV

We had been waiting in the room for who knows how long now, but I could tell he was starting to get impatient.
"Well, it seems Clarissa needs more incentive." Valentine said.
"No. What she needs is a real father. Look, I've been best friends with Clary forever. And the one thing she's always wished is to be able to know her real dad. And she's had that chance. And she found a homicidal maniac. She wants nothing to do with you. She hates you. Doesn't that bother you? Doesn't it make you wanna change? For her?" I asked. Valentine looked at me thoughtfully, but I couldn't read the look on his face.

MAGNUS' POV

I was standing on my balcony looking out at the city. I hated this. All I could think about was Alec and if he was ok. Before I knew it, Clary was standing next to me.
"I'm not used to feeling so powerless." I told her, not expecting her to reply. Before she could say anything, her phone started to ring. She picked it up and saw that it was Simon. She looked up at me and I nodded. She slid the green button across the screen and Simon and Valentine appeared. Simon looked terrified, whilst Valentine was looking very calm.
"Oh, my God! Simon, are you okay?" She asked, looking only at the vampire.
"Simon's fine. We've just been having a nice talk. You know, he told me your greatest wish was to get to know your old man, which is funny, because it's always been my wish to get to know my daughter. And so, I'm here, and I'm waiting for you. And frankly, well Clarissa, I'm losing my patience." Valentine said. He then got up and walked behind Simon, grabbing his chin and lifting his head up. He then did something I didn't expect. He slowly slit Simon's throat, letting blood pour out. I flinched at this and tried not to close my eyes. Clary, on the other hand, gasped in horror and put the hand that wasn't holding the phone over her mouth. Valentine then walked over and knelt in front of the camera. "The vampire has a half-hour, maybe 40 minutes, before he turns to dust. Come quick, Clarissa. He needs blood to survive." He said, before disconnecting the call.
"Portal me to the Institute." Clary said.
"Clary, we can't." I pleaded with her as she walked away.
"Now!" She ordered, flipping around to look at me.