Chapter 66

NO ONE'S POV

Clary was pacing as Jace was sitting, waiting for Simon and the Seelie Queen to return.
"We should never have let Simon come." Clary said worriedly.
"He didn't exactly give us a choice, and you know, you can't really blame him. If I were him, I'd never leave your side either." Jace said. Clary stopped what she was doing and turned to Jace, but before either of them could say another word, Simon came power walking back into the room. They both turned to look at him.
"Is everything OK?" Clary asked as he grabbed her arm, pulling him with her.
"Great! We need to go right now." Simon said to her, not breaking his movement. Jace stopped them both.
"Hey! Hey! Wait! Your majesty, with your permission, we should get going." He requested.
"But you've only just arrived." The Seelie Queen said. Suddenly, thorned vines sprouted from the ground and began wrapping themselves tightly around both Jace and Simon. They struggled against them but to no avail. "It's futile to struggle. Vitis veritas. Enchanted vines that only obey me." She revealed.
"What are you doing? Let them go!" Clary demanded. The Seelie Queen didn't even seem phased by her tone.
"But they killed several of my kind." She said simply.
"What? We didn't kill anyone!" Simon exclaimed.
"She can't lie. Your majesty, you must be mistaken." Jace replied, the vines wrapping ever tighter around him and Simon.
"I told you, the birds, bees, bugs, they're all in my service." She replied. A look of realization crossed Clary's face.
"The gnats at the kill tree." She said.
"What, that that bug I killed?" Simon asked in shock.
"But that can't seriously mean-" Clary began, but she was cut off by the Queen.
"Their deaths require justice." The Seelie Queen stated. "Unless, of course, you'd rather play a game." She offered. The look on her face was innocent, but there was a hint of teasing in her voice, so slight you could have missed it.
Simon and Jace spoke at the same time.
"What kind of game?"
"A game sounds better."
"It's simple, really. All I ask is a kiss." The Seelie Queen stated.
"You want one of us to kiss you?" Clary asked, frowning.
"The game isn't for me. It's for you, Clary. The kiss that will set them free is the kiss you most desire. I suggest you move quickly. Once the vines reach their necks, the boys will be dead, dead, dead." The Seelie Queen said.
"Jace was wrong. This is exactly like middle school." Clary snapped, looking back at the boys. She turned completely to face Jace and Simon. Deep down, she knew it was Jace. It had always been Jace. She didn't want either of them to die, so she decided to go straight for Jace, in the process, unknowingly breaking Simon's heart. As soon as she kissed Jace, she was sure. She had been denying her feelings for so long that it was almost second nature to her now.
"I told you, Daylighter. They always choose their own kind." The Seelie Queen stated. Simon knew, in that moment, that he would never have any chance of a romantic relationship with Clary. She would always see him as a best friend...nothing more. It was Jace...it had always been Jace. The vines then began to retreat, freeing both Jace and Simon in the process.
"Why the hell would you do that? It's our lives, not some game!" Clary protested once she and Jace had separated.
"Best to be completely honest, don't you think?" The Seelie Queen asked.
"Your highness, are we free to go?" Jace asked, slightly dazed, but wanting to get out of the Seelie Court.
"Oh yes. It seems one of you already has." She replied.
Jace and Clary turned around to see that Simon had vanished.

*At the Institute*

MARYSE'S POV

I entered the infirmary and my eyes instantly zoned on Ben, who was lying in a bed in the back right hand corner. I walked over and sat down next to him, taking one of his limp hands in my own. It broke my heart to see Ben like this again. I had a sense of déjà vu to when I looked down at my baby boy, unconscious and injured. As soon as I heard that Ben was one of the victims of the attacks my heart broke. I will forever thank the Angel that he was saved when he was. I could not be more proud of Isabelle for saving him.
"Mum?" I heard a small voice ask. I looked up to see Max standing in the entrance. "Can I come in?" He asked. I nodded, gesturing for him to come over to me. He did so and sat down next to me. "Is Ben gonna be ok?" Max asked.
"He'll be alright. Isabelle told me he will live, but it may take him a while to be able to fight again." I told him.
"I'm sorry. This is my fault. If I hadn't snuck out, none of this would have happened." Max said sadly.
"Honey, no, it's no one's fault but Kaelie's. I agree that you shouldn't have snuck out, but Ben being hurt is not and will never be your fault." I said seriously. He didn't give a verbal response, but instead, nodded regretfully.
I put my arm around him in a comforting hug, pulling him onto my lap in the process. I am glad that he didn't have to see his brother die slowly and painfully. I know that is something he would never get over.

*An hour later*

Max had calmed down by this point. He was still sitting on my lap, but he was now facing Ben. I had one arm around his waist, and the other hand holding Ben's. My head snapped up when I felt pressure on my hand. It felt like Ben squeezed my hand.
"Ben? Sweetheart? Can you open your eyes?" I asked softly. I looked up at his face and saw his eyebrows frown slightly as if he were attempting to open his eyes. A few moments later, his eyelids fluttered open and his hazel eyes opened.
"Mum? Max?" He asked softly. I turned to Max.
"Max, go and tell Isabelle that Ben is awake." I told him. He jumped off my lap, running through the infirmary and out the door quicker than I could say infirmary. With that, I turned my attention back to my second eldest child.