Chapter 88

BEN'S POV

Jace, Alec, Luke, and I were walking towards the entrance hall in order to farewell Luke. The meeting hadn't exactly gone as smoothly as hoped, which wasn't a very good sign, but I just hoped that we could at least get some Downworlders to help us, despite the Seelie Queen refusing to do so.
"I'd say let us know what you find out but you're not allowed to do that anymore, are you?" Jace said, more of a statement than a question. Luke shook his head.
"I'm sorry it had to be like this." Luke apologized. We each took turns in shaking his hand.
"Well, as long as one side catches them, that's all that matters, right?" Alec asked.
"Right." Luke affirmed.
"Luke, wait!" Clary called after him. Luke stopped and turned to her, walking back to her. "Why are you doing this? You and I both know the Seelie Queen doesn't have your best interests at heart." She asked.
"To be honest, I don't think she has a heart." Luke said. "Look, I gotta think of my pack. Her Court can protect us from anything that Valentine and his son can throw at us. The Institute can't." He added. By the look on her face, she understood that and knew that it was true. She pulled him into a hug. Once she pulled away, she began speaking again.
"No matter what don't let either of them leave the city." She said, more of a plea rather than a statement.
"Me and my wolves will die trying." Luke replied.
"Please don't." She said, the tone of her voice borderline begging.

ISABELLE'S POV

Everyone had left the room so it was only Raphael and I standing in here talking. Honestly, I was glad I am able to see him again.
"Shouldn't you be waking up every vamp in the city to start hunting?" I asked him.
"I texted Eloise to start spreading the word. We'll search every tunnel, sewer and darkened corner that we can. Until the sun sets, that's the best we can do. I'd be more than happy to join them, but Magnus was kind of my ride." He told me, his voice mildly joking at his last sentence.
"Yeah, I was surprised he'd leave you behind like that." I replied.
"He's got bigger things on his mind right now. He's been through a lot lately. We all have." He said. There was a silence between us for a few moments before Raphael began speaking again. "I'm truly sorry. For everything. Our worlds, turned against each other, it's...it's not quite how I pictured our paths would cross again." He said.
"How did you picture it?" I asked curiously.
"I made a mistake, Isabelle. And whatever there is between us it's not just about craving each other's blood." He replied, not quite answering my question, but telling me how he was apologizing and telling me how he felt nonetheless.
"I know. I know." I said softly.
"Well, if there's any good that comes out of being at the brink of war it's being able to stand here, in front of you." He continued, a small smile on his face.
"Do you really think it's gonna come down to war?" I asked nervously. He sighed.
"If the Downworld stays the course and refuses to work with the Clave that could be a violation of the Accords." He told me. I paused. I hadn't thought of that, but honestly, it scared me.

BEN'S POV

I had decided to go and do some training to get myself back up to get myself back up to fighting form. I know it hasn't been that long since I got out of the Infirmary and Magnus did tell me that it was going to take a while for me that it was going to take me a while for me to heal and be able to fight again. I needed to get some of the annoyance of this afternoon's meeting with the Downworlders out of my system.

CLARY'S POV

I walked past the training room on my way to my room, but stopped to take I look inside since I could see one of the twins training. I couldn't determine which one, since his back was turned to me and I couldn't see his deflect rune on his neck. He must have heard me because he stopped what he was doing and being turned around. Ben. I knew by his deflect rune.
"Ben? Why are you in here training?" I asked. "I thought you were supposed to be staying away from exercise for a while. It hasn't exactly been that long since you were attacked." I said.
"I feel fine." He said, slightly breathlessly.
"Come on now. Don't give me that. Alec's the grumpy one, remember?" I teased. He chuckled, a smile appearing on his face.
"That is true isn't it?" He said playfully. "Well, not as much now as he was." He added. I laughed at this. What he said was true.
"Now, what is the real reason you're doing this?" I asked. He sighed in what seemed like defeat.
"Firstly, I want to get back to being able to go back in the field. Secondly, I wanted to blow off some steam over the result of the meeting this afternoon." He told me. I sighed.
"Ben, I know you'll be back in the field soon enough, but you just need to take this time to heal and don't train so hard." I suggested. Ben sighed and began to unwrap his hands.
"Really though Clary, I'm ok." He commented.
"I know, but remember, we're your family and we don't want you to get hurt any more than you already have." I replied. Ben smiled at me and we proceeded to exit the training room without another word.