Chapter 31

CLARY'S POV

"Jace, Clary, you go up and find and free the Angel, Izzy and I will stay here and guard the door." Alec said, getting his bow out while Izzy's whip unraveled.
"You sure?" Jace asked carefully.
"Yes! Now go!" Alec replied, indicating for us to go.
With that, Jace and I began ascending the stairs.
"If Valentine needs lightning to activate the Sword, he probably put Ithuriel up on the rooftop." I commented.
"Cleophas could have been lying, Clary." Jace suggested as we continued to climb the stairs.
"She's not. Not about this." I said seriously.
"How do you know?" He asked.
"I just know. Trust me." I replied quickly. We finally reached the top and opened the doors.

JACE'S POV

I rolled my eyes as we opened the doors only to be faced with about four guards and the Angel in chains. I looked at Clary and she nodded. Then, we started fighting.

*A few minutes later*

We'd just killed the last guard and rushed over to the Angel in order to free it. Clary pulled at the chains whilst I began slashing at them.
"We have to hurry." Clary stated. Well thank you Captain Obvious.
"Nothing's working." I replied.
"Why can't we break the chain?" Clary asked.
"I don't know. Valentine must have used a warlock, some kind of dark magic." I suggested. The Angel then looked up and opened his mouth and Clary began to cover her ears. "What's happening? What are you doing?" I asked her.
"He's communicating with me." Clary said, glancing at me before beginning to draw a rune on his shackles. What?!
"He's-" I began, but couldn't bring myself to finish my sentence.
Clary finished the rune and I was shocked, I had never seen that rune before. A few seconds later, the Angel ripped the shackles off. He calmly looked up, spreading his wings. They were beautiful. The Angel then looked at each of us with a kind smile, and offered one of his hands to each of us. We took his hand in ours and we were transported to a different place. I saw a cloudy sky with a single star and the Soul Sword wedged in the ground. A black, demonic looking hand suddenly gripped the hilt. I saw a demon that I had never seen before and then it and the Sword both disintegrated. Suddenly, I was transported back to the rooftop.
"What was that?" Clary asked. Obviously, she had seen the same thing as me. The Angel still said nothing, but he smiled at us before he looked up, darting up in a flash of light, like a shooting star, returning to his home. Clary and I looked at each other, confusion and amazement the main emotions showing on our faces.

ALEC'S POV

Surprisingly, we hadn't encountered anyone yet. I shouldn't speak too soon though.
"Alec, look!" Izzy said, looking up and pointing to something. It looked like a shooting star, but it was going straight up. It also seemed like it was taking the storm with it. When it was far enough away, the sky began to clear and the wind and thunder ceased. That must have been the Angel. They did it. Clary and Jace freed the Angel. "You think that's the Angel?" Izzy asked, looking up at what looked like a shooting star ascending to the heavens.
"Yeah." I replied.
"It'd be amazing if it was." She said absentmindedly, still gazing at it.
"We can ask Jace and Clary about it when they get back." I offered. She nodded at the suggestion.

*10 minutes later*

I heard footsteps coming down the stairs. Izzy and I turned around readying our weapons. I assumed it was Jace and Clary, but I knew that Valentine's minions were everywhere and you could never be too careful. A few moments later, Jace and Clary appeared.
"How did it go?"
"We freed the Angel. He showed us a vision though." Jace said. Izzy and I both looked at him in confusion.
"As much as I would love to hear about it, can we talk about it when we get back to the Institute? I don't think we should hang around here for too much longer." I suggested.
"Alec's right. We should get out of here." Jace responded. With that, we all made our way back to the Institute.

*Back at the Institute*

BEN'S POV

I was getting worried because it shouldn't take them this long to take on a hoard of shax demons, especially if there are four of them. Unless one of them is hurt that is. Oh no, is someone hurt? Before my thoughts could consume me any longer, the people I was just thinking of entered my room. I got up and marched over to them, a scowl on my face. I could tell by the looks on their faces that they were prepared for a scolding.
"WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?! Do you have any idea how worried I was?!" I half-yelled. "Slaughtering Shax demons, especially since there were four of you, should not take that long." I said frowning. "Now where you were you?" They all looked at each other. "What? What am I missing?" Jace then relayed the entire story to me. By the end of it, I couldn't be more shocked. An Angel? Clary creating a new Rune? It's not that I don't believe them, but it shocked me nevertheless.